2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tps mod/tune up

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tps mod/tune up

this is not my truck and i have not done it to mine yet.. but this is wut i got off a guy from another forum....

Well...the other day, I was resetting the throttle position sensor on my Conquest (you have to every now and then, as it moves), and, afterwards, as usual, it runs quite a bit better.

So...I was thinking to myself...my SS/T has 142,000 miles on it, and I doubt the throttle position sensor has been adjusted ever in the trucks life.

Grabbed the Chilton and my trusty digital volt meter and did a reset on it...took 5 minutes....

Let me just say this...I was moving at about 15mph and just stomped it, and I felt the back end kinda break loose a second and go.
Usually, I have to stomp it from a dead stop to get any tire spinnage, and I don't always get it then.

So...just saying...its not really a mod, but, makes you realize how much better your truck ran brand new...lol

It should be better on gas as well, but, I won't know for awhile as I'll probably be playing with the newfound power

Oh...and for the write up....you'll need torx bits for this.

The TPS is on the drivers side of the throttle body (if you have the stock airbox, you may have to remove it).
then, take a digital voltmeter and stick the positive tester into the back of the plug at the Black/Orange wire...then, put the negative in the back of the black/blue wire.
With the key on, engine off, throttle closed, you should see anywhere from .5 - 1.5 volts. You want it to be as close to 1 as possible. Then, open it to full throttle, it should climb to anywhere between 3.5 - 4.5 volts.
Now, to adjust it, loosen the two bolts (do not remove them), and slowly move the TPS (spinning it) in either direction (one way will raise the voltage, the other will lower it) watching the voltage at closed throttle. As I said, get it as close to 1 volt as possible. (mine only went to .7 volts, so...you may not necessarily reach 1) Tighten it up, (not too tight, remember your bolting this to aluminum). Open the throttle fully and see what the voltage goes too...as I said, as close to 4 volts as possible is best.
Now...put her back together and let her rip

Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good write up but that's been around for a while in this forum.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J415
Good write up but that's been around for a while in this forum.
All good. Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna try this lol. How exactly does it give you more power though?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think it gives you more power, but raise your idle so when you hit the gas your truck just goes instead of the little hesitation.

but from what ive heard the 2nd gen computers are really smart and will probably correct the idle after a week or two.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It may make your truck a bit snappier the first few times you key it on.

Here's how it works:

The TPS has a normal idle operating range (read plates closed) of .30V~.80V. The PCM makes note of this every time you turn the engine on and compares it to an averaged stored value based on several key on cycles.

If you move a lower reading sensor (say your idle reads in at .35V) to the higher end (twist it a bit to make it read .65V) the PCM will compare the initial voltage of .65V to the stored old value of .35V and think the plates are open more than they truly are and start jerking with fuel, timing, etc.

It'll feel peppy, until the new higher value replaces the lowered stored value in the PCM (can't recall how long it takes, it's a few key on cycles though,) and then you'll be right back to normal.

It might be a neat trick for the track, though.