2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Compressor clutch/recharge

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Don't bleed off ALL the pressure, just enough so that the gauge stays in the range suggested on the can of refrigerant for the current ambient temp.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
gary30mazak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took 3 cans but now the pully is not shutting off every 5 seconds and it seems to be blowing cold air now. lets hope it holds! The guage read between 45 to 50 psi which is where the can said it should!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM
BigBoyICE

I been trying to troubleshoot it to make sure that it is truly overcharged. Plugged it up to another truck to just see if maybe the gauge on the can was broke and it went right how it should. So it seems to be truly overcharged, what is the best way to release that pressure? Is there a way to do it myself safely? Or is it something I will have to pay someone to do for me?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
gary30mazak
Rookie

Mine was undercharged so I really cant answer your question. I did try to hook up to the low side with the charging kit I got but it would not fit even if you tried to alter it. My guess would be to take it to a shop that can do it. Probably cost yo about $50 bucks though or try to evacuate it yourself if you can get something up into that valve to release that pressure. be careful if you try it yourself though thaat stuff is cold!! and will freeze your fingers in a second. The cheap guage you get with the charging kit shoul tell you what kind of charge is in there. Likee I said wear gloves and eye protection or you may be sorry. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
bhynes

no do not take it to a shop... unless your a tree hugger. unscrew the cap with the H on top (H for high pressure) and grab a screw driver with a rag over the end and push it into the fitting, just like you were letting air out of a tire. you don't have to use a screwdriver and a rag, honestly I don't care how you do it, just don't damage the rubber/plastic "valve core". Do this with the truck and the compressor running. let a little out on the high side out, wait for a minute and recheck the guage on the bottle/kit. you might have to keep disconnecting/reconnecting the gauge to get a new reading. Some of those kits have some kind of check valve that keeps the freon in the line from escaping so your needle on the gauge will never actually go down... i.e. some more tree huggin bs

Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is NOT enough refrigerant in the system, HENCE the cycling every five seconds. this is done to prevent damage to the compressor due to lack of lubrication.

the compressor needs to be running while you charge the system. you are getting a high reading because the compressor is off when these readings appear. when the compressor cycles on, the reading drops, right?

add more refrigerant until the compressor begins a continous cylce, once the continous cylce begins, add refrigerant until an accecptable value is reached.

Last edited by matty675; 05-11-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by matty675
there is NOT enough refrigerant in the system, HENCE the cycling every five seconds. this is done to prevent damage to the compressor due to lack of lubrication.

the compressor needs to be running while you charge the system. you are getting a high reading because the compressor is off when these readings appear. when the compressor cycles on, the reading drops, right?

add more refrigerant until the compressor begins a continous cylce, once the continous cylce begins, add refrigerant until an accecptable value is reached.
His gauge cycles in the red, even with the compressor running. I suspect the reason it cycles for five seconds at a time, is the HIGH pressure switch shuts it down, till pressure drops enough, then it cycles again.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very true, i guess he needs to verify that the needle never leaves the red area as you said.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor clutch/recharge