2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My perf Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM
95Erokram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My perf Trans question

Well I just got my truck back and my truck got my trans rebuilt into a perf trans. Shift kit, dual disc converter, all new bands and servo and all that good stuff. Its got a lot of power and shifts hard.. a good hard but dosent move as fast as it did before stock went out. Im wondering if these factors affect it, i have no tune and the stock pcm might need to adjust to the new shift points and power bands, it sat for 5 weeks before the engine even got started after it was driven everyday, and the shift point might just not be right for it. Hes getting a reciept ready soon so I dont have all the details but its powerful, but dosent move like its after anything. I hate to think that I finally blew a plenum or a temp repair a previous owner might have done. And its only a 95 5.2 with a 46rh trans. Im wondering if it just has a lot of relearning to do, as well as me driving differently.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The transmission isn't really controlled a whole lot by the PCM, so there really isn't any learning to do. Pretty much the only thing the PCM can control with the transmission is the torque converter, O/D engagement, and the RPM limiter.

I'd make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly. Was this a local shop or a national chain?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 AM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonw
The transmission isn't really controlled a whole lot by the PCM, so there really isn't any learning to do. Pretty much the only thing the PCM can control with the transmission is the torque converter, O/D engagement, and the RPM limiter.

I'd make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly. Was this a local shop or a national chain?
local shop one person kinda deal. It was cheap (own shop and the only worker and he has awesome reputation) and a very good build. The shift kit makes it shift hard but solid for sure. The transmission at full throttle shift 2-3 at 50-55 instead of 45-48 stock and it sounds like it dosent catch and revs way high than catches and slams the next gear (into 3rd now) and again at 4th it wont engage until 80 -82 which was 75 stock trans. Im wondering if the shift kit might be too high on shift point for my engines rpm, the tv cable isint to spec, or the clutches arent doing there job. I have a full warrenty deal on it and he said to bring it in anytime. I havent installed my mopar pcm because i dont want to over do it until everythings snug in there. The trans is great at all other levels but full throttle at 2-3 and 3-4 shifts unless I back down a bit on the pedal around the speed then floor the rest after the shift. Its weird to explain. Thanks for the quick responce though!

And this is only at metal to the floor. 90 percent dosent affect it and its not every time. I think the trans is breaking in and the cable might be a bit off

EDIT: also on an update. My oil was old, bad, and low, cleaned my K&N air filter and changed the oil with half a quart of marvel mystyery oil and my engines great. The truck is faster than before but the trans acts weird at said above instances

Last edited by jasonw; 05-26-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 AM
4085spd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95Erokram
And this is only at metal to the floor. 90 percent dosent affect it and its not every time. I think the trans is breaking in and the cable might be a bit off
That it right there. Take it easy for a few hundred miles then change the fluid. Just like a new motor or rear end.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM
95Erokram
Veteran
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4085spd
That it right there. Take it easy for a few hundred miles then change the fluid. Just like a new motor or rear end.
alright man thanks!. Yeah he said when its close to 4-5 hundred miles to bring it in so he can change the fluid and filter and check up on the trans for any problems. Im barely on a hundred miles on it. I definately want to treat it well. But these components should be able to handle abuse great, thats what they were designed for, not to be stock lol. thanks again guys! And i have noticed that the more its driven, the stronger and more responsive it becomes. Makes sense

Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 AM
95Erokram
Veteran

Nope. everyone was wrong. Including me. Guy said it was the Rev limiter when he first heard it. I installed the mopar PCM and the symptom is long gone. Cant believe I didnt think of that. DUH! Its great now though. Trans is almost too powerful for my 318 with every external bolt on at all. Now im thinkin m1 intake, HS 1.7's, mild perf cam and maybe even perf. pistons and aluminum heads. my trans is rated at 500 gas horse. hmmmm. Just though id personally clos this thread and thank the members for their suggestions.

Quick Reply: My perf Trans question