2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
The 9.25 is plenty strong for 35's. I've seen people running 40" + with no problems. As far as axle strength is concerned the 9.25 is just as strong as the Dana 60. IMO the only thing the 60 has better is no c clips and you can buy a selectable locker for it.
Dana 60 also has shims for the pinion not a crush sleeve like 9.25. The crush sleeve getting crushed too much will cause slop in the pinion and destroy the axle. That is what happened to mine and has happened to many others. The crush sleeve will crush itself more if the truck is under a lot of throttle and load. So it is not just a setup mistake.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BamaRam97
Would it not be cheaper and safer in the long run to just completely replace the carrier with a new one? Not saying you have to put a locker or anything in there, but I think I would consider upgrading while You have that far apart. You won't even have to mess with the pinion just the ring gear and the axles come out easily with the C clips. That about there only good use!
You would have to setup the axle again then. If you just replace the spiders it is much cheaper and simpler.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just replace the top and bottom spiders and the side gears on the axle. check pinion shaft in the carrier case for smoothness. if its nicked up any, either grind it out smooth or replace it too.

it'll only cost you about $100 or less and you can be done in 15 minutes. as said, if you try to pull the carrier, its a big job and requires a setup which will cost you a lot of money to have done.

its an easy repair - just follow the steps in the haynes manual (pg 8-12) or 01 service manual to -
locate and remove pinion shaft lock bolt.
remove pinion shaft.
remove c-clips.
slide rear axles out a tad.
replace side gears.
replace top and bottom spiders and shims.
reinstall pinion shaft.
push axles back in and reinstall c-clips somewhere in here...
done...

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Pfeifferj10
Im running 35/10.50-15 BFG M/T. Ive been taking it out lately and giving it some abuse
its your truck and all and you can do whatever you want - but you might have found the line of abuse that you should not cross. LOL.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
Pfeifferj10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i realized my axle wasnt "open" its a Trac-lock. The local axle shop had a spider kit on hand but beings mine has clutches and all that fun stuff i couldnt use them. i figured maybe i could use the upper and lower out of the kit but they are a different teeth count than what i had. We went in his inventory and found tons of carriers and stuff but no track-locks. He however has plenty of open carriers and is going to sell me a complete open carrier. So im going to be doing one wheel wonders from here on out untill i figure out what else to do. looking to get this thing running asap since its my dd. Just gotta get new carrier bearings which hes pressing onto the carrier tomorrow and swap the ring and pull the axles then set the backlash. he has lock right lockers available, but from what hes saying they are junk for bigger trucks and wear out quick with the bigger tires. im spending about 150 bucks to get this going again and a detroit would cost $500+ and a lockright locker is $270 so im going cheap. guess ill end up rebuilding the track-lock sometime and keep it available.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Pfeifferj10

Yea i tend to destroy my vehicles pretty quick. im a jeep guy, owned 2 still have one. no broken axles before but went through about 7 drive shafts with my cj and the 40" gumbo's. what may have caused this was the bouncy rear springs and the long gravel road with potholes that made the rear tires bounce off the ground multiple times. was a fun ride though :P

Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Don't settle for an open carrier. You will only get to pay to upgrade again later. Spend the money now, and then you won't be paying for the same job twice.

Rebuild your trac-lock. You won't be happy otherwise.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

oops, i didn't even consider that you had an LSD. its a booger to compress the clutches and reinstall. there's some good pics and info in a thread in here somewhere.

don't even consider a lockright with your big 35" tires. it won't hold up.

are you getting a rear end repair and setup for $150 - if so that's a unusually good price. if you could stand the downtime, just order spiders and a posi rebuild kit.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Pfeifferj10

Yes sir. I just went and picked up the carrier along with new bearings pressed on it and a gallon of fluid. The spiders are clean and look new. The guy also gave me a couple packs of locktight and stuff to mark the ring when im setting the backlash. cost me $140 bucks as i assumed. It is a pretty good price. He charged me 75 bucks for the carrier alone. I know i am going to be upset when im only turning one tire but ive gone a week without my dd and miss my truck. Will probably keep the lsd and rebuild it and keep as a spare. Now the problem lies with finding the tool to adjust backlash and getting a car jack.

Quick Reply: Broken axle