2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum fix coming, what all do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Plenum fix coming, what all do I need?

Well, the time has come for me to start putting money into the ol girl, and the plenum fix is right up at the top of the list. I'm thinkin very strongly about doing the water pump and timing set since I'm in that far... The truck has 313,000KMS on it so it's probably due for them anyway right? I'm gonna try and round up most of the stuff I need later this week and don't want to forget anything. (parts stores are 45 mins away lol)

As of now I have Felpro plenum and intake gaskets and new intake bolts, (thanks Pacman!) and I just ordered this plate yesterday, which is identical to the Hughes plate except half the price and includes bolts : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260781469345 I believe he's a DF member as well.

So what else should I pick up? I know about the coolant bypass hose, what about the thermostat? Timing cover gasket? Plugs and wires perhaps (just did them last summer with cap n rotor but will check them out). Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

I have a spare kegger now as well (also from Pacman), it is the EGR equipped version but I could plug that off. I am considering modding it up a bit and using it but am not sure whether I will, or just clean mine up and use it. Suggestions?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your on the right track Maxx. I would add a water pump replacement too since your going to be that far in to do the timing set. When I did mine I also replaced the radiator hoses,t-stat,heater hoses,and replaced the fan clutch. Get some Gasachinch(sp?) (thanks Chris McKenna) for the gaskets. Once I had it all put back together, I ran it and changed the oil,and used a couple cans of Seafoam in the oil to help clean out any left over sludge.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beer.

More beer.

And a dickfer.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

If you dont have the 180 stat in you might as well do it. It'll take another 5 seconds of your day.
Make sure you get new bolts for the manifold, dont reuse the old ones. Bad juju with that.

If youve got the extra keg you can either polish that up and do the keg mod ( for practice at the very least) or make it look real shiny like and sell it. Put money toward better mods, up to you really.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
If you dont have the 180 stat in you might as well do it. It'll take another 5 seconds of your day.
Make sure you get new bolts for the manifold, dont reuse the old ones. Bad juju with that.

If youve got the extra keg you can either polish that up and do the keg mod ( for practice at the very least) or make it look real shiny like and sell it. Put money toward better mods, up to you really.

Why install a 180º thermostat? I swear, this 180º thermostat is the Fuel Line Magnet snake oil of the cooling system.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your gonna switch out the keggers, you'll need new fel pro O rings for the injectors. It's gonna cost you an extra $10-$15 Also, RTV the end seals with Ultra Black.
ON a side note, I'm curious on the 180* stat as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
theviper90210
Professional

Just wondering how the ebay plate and bolts worked out for you looking to mine and its a great price???

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Just got done with mine last night. The ebay plate and bolts work fine. The bolts it comes with are for the pan- you'll still need to the get the intake bolts.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
stangs13
Rookie

Plenty of carb and choke cleaner to clean that intake manifold up..good rtv, patients..lots of patients.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to know the ebay plate works. i was slack and missed his last auctions but he said he will have some more next wed/thurs back up for auction.

Quick Reply: Plenum fix coming, what all do I need?