2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Posi lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi lock

Does anybody know how to adjust it right? Mine is hard to lock in, like you have to be on flat ground, pull it out then back up and pull forward a couple of times while twisting the button. It's aggravating I can't just pull it out and be done with it.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

When you had it apart, did you clean the burrs off of the ends of the axles, and the inside of the collar?

Theoretically, you should be able to apply pressure to the cable, drive forward and just turn the wheel a bit to get it to lock in.....

Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are supposed to push the red button and pull the cable. Twisting the black handle is your adjustment, not your engagement. I have always had to be going slow and possibly back up to engage mine but that is fine as I know it is working, unlike the vacuum CAD.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I only pull it out it won't engage. I have to turn the ****. I'll pull it all apart and check it.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2 things -
1) it sounds like your center release button is not working right. if you push or pull on the **** w/o pushing the center button, its not supposed to move. the center button is a release of the locking mechanism. as said, twisting the **** does move it in/out, but its meant to be a fine adjustment of your "IN" position.

2) engagement/disengagement. my vac cad was very sluggish to engage/disengage. i had to stop, back up, pull forward, **** around, turn the wheels, straighten the wheels, etc. after i installed the posilok, it was still just as bad, only worse, in that i had to PULL or PUSH on the **** while doing all that same shenanigans. while changing u-joints and seals i had the axles out and laying on the work bench with the collar. inspecting the mess, i had burrs on the axle and collar splines that were causing a very TIGHT fit for the collar to slide on and off. i used a file to clean up all the splines so the collar would slide on and off without binding. - after putting it back together - it was like night and day difference. finally, i could just pull/push on the posilok **** (while pushing the center button) and it worked like it was supposed to.

edit - also, the small plastic center bushing between the inner and outer axle has to be good and tight to maintain alignment. if it has play, then the axles halves can move, and the collar won't slip over the inner half like its supposed to.

as a test, put the truck up on 4 jack stands and remove the cad. inspect the collar and axles. use your hand to slide the collar back and forth to engage/disengage. if its hard to slide, there's your problem.

you can continue the test by reassembling and testing the operation with truck not running, and then again with engine running and trans in gear. if it doesn't work right on jack stands, then it won't work right in real life.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to add that the only way I can get my posi lock to engage/disengage quickly is to have the transfer case in 4x4. If it is in 2wd it is very difficult to engage.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I forgot to add that the only way I can get my posi lock to engage/disengage quickly is to have the transfer case in 4x4. If it is in 2wd it is very difficult to engage.
That's because the outer axle is rotating in one direction, and the inner axle is either not moving at all, or even rotating in the OPPOSITE direction.....

Quick Reply: Posi lock