2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going to service my trans this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to service my trans this weekend

Well, it is finally time for me to service the trans in my truck. I have had it for about six months or so, and it has about 75,000 miles on it now. I have been doing a lot of reading here, so I think I am prepared.

My plan of attack is to change the filter, install a drain plug in the pan, clean the solenoids attached to the valve body, and install a remote filter in the line that USED to contain the check valve (I got rid of that a few months ago).

The reason for the remote filter is that I feel it would be much easier and quicker to change that than the one in the pan, and it would actually keep the internal filter from getting very dirty in the first place. I plan on replacing the remote filter a couple of times in the next few weeks, just in case the new fluid breaks some crud loose.

Does this sound like a logical plan, or is there something I should add?

Old 05-21-2011, 01:29 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_Putman
Well, it is finally time for me to service the trans in my truck. I have had it for about six months or so, and it has about 75,000 miles on it now. I have been doing a lot of reading here, so I think I am prepared.

My plan of attack is to change the filter, install a drain plug in the pan, clean the solenoids attached to the valve body, and install a remote filter in the line that USED to contain the check valve (I got rid of that a few months ago).

The reason for the remote filter is that I feel it would be much easier and quicker to change that than the one in the pan, and it would actually keep the internal filter from getting very dirty in the first place. I plan on replacing the remote filter a couple of times in the next few weeks, just in case the new fluid breaks some crud loose.

Does this sound like a logical plan, or is there something I should add?
Forget the remote filter. get this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-14210/

I have it. I needed to get it because the tranny plug I installed was hitting a solenoid (drilled the wrong side). Plus, that pan adds cooling, has a bung for a tranny temp sensor, and has a drain plug.

Also: SAVE YOUR STOCK GASKET!!! It is a hard plastic gasket that makes it a bit more FORGIVING if you accidentally overtorque your tranny pan. Those pans BEND after 35 ft lbs and they will leak. That is why i don;t send my truck to those "lube" places. They ALWAYS overtorque. THat causes tranny leakage on the seams of the pan.

THe remote filter is not necessary. And 75K miles is not a lot. However, i would send it in to get done professionally at the dealership. i believe it is 120 dollars for a drain and fill AND they adjust your bands. I didn't do that myself because you can mess it up easy, and i do not have a very good torque wrench.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, that tranny pan keeps tranny temps low. The highest I have seen my tranny temp was about 145. Mostly it stays around 100. Especially on the highway. After hours of driving on the highway, then pulling off into city traffic, the temp will go to 125-140.

Towing/hauling 3100 lbs out of overdrive only got me to 129 degrees with that pan. Plus it is slightly deper. You can hold another 2.5 quarts.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a remote filter and like it. about once a year i drain/refill the pan and change the remote filter only. this is not recommended, but i do it anyway. about every 2 years i drop the pan and change the internal filter.

take your time drilling the drain plug hole. center it on one of those flat panels, and look at what's inside, as there are a lot of obstacles inside that the plug body can hit. some of the plug bodies are overly long. you can grind off the excess.

you can also put it one the bottom or the side. it doesn't have to drain 100% of the pan, just most of it. the last one i did i put in the side, where it can't drag on a rock.

also consider adding a cooler.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ter-added.html

Quick Reply: Going to service my trans this weekend