2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The time has come for GEARS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The time has come for GEARS.

Tax season has been good to me this year, and I'm going to gear the truck finally! (LONG overdue) Lets hope my trans doesn't **** the bed after only 10k with 3.55s and 38's. I've decided that I will go with 4.56's and what I want to know is what brands to buy from, and where can I get the install kits for my 1500, being the D44 up front and Chrysler 9 and a quarter out back.

tl,dr: What quality (brand) gears / install kits to buy for 4.56's on my 1500?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like Yukon.

I'm runnin 4.10's with 33's and they are nice and quite!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

May want to go with 4.88's with 38 inch tires.....

I agree with the Yukon gears.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Yukon all the way.

Off the subject: But your truck to me is like the perfect height. Love that setup.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
tweeker909
Professional

4.88 and a locker outback with them big meats.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Moe's Performance is mostly for 3rd gens, and they don't carry the Yukons units, but they do have a very nicely priced Master Install kit for the rear end. I got my Master Install Kit for the front from Randy's Ring and Pinion (Yukon kit).

Moe's Rear End Master Kit, $99:
http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=1456

Yukon's Front End Master Kit, $199:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet..._Gear_and_Axle

I also nabbed an Auburn LSD for the rear, but I am not going to get as serious as you are with the tires and off-road. A rear locker may not be a bad choice.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, WHO does the install is a LOT more important than what brand of gears you buy. Yukons are very good, but I've never really seen any of them be bad that I couldn't trace back to a bad install. There was one brand that gave installers fits, I wanna say they are US Gear, but don't hold me to it.
I bought Genuine G2s, basically because of the lifetime warranty and they have never made a hint of a whine, despite some really bad press you read about them. Other reason is that gears are heavy and costly to ship and the G2s I could pick up at my local 4 Wheel Parts and not have to pay shipping.

As far as the install kit, the Yukon is good, uses Timken bearings. Pretty much any kit with Timkens would be a good kit.

This is ALL about the install. Find you a reputable shop with a very experienced installer and pay their price. This is NOT the kinda thing you want to skimp and try to save $50 on the install.

Just break 'em in properly and you'll love the 4.56s. Your tranny will also thank you for it...

Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
a-master
Veteran

As far as 4.88's go, I was considering it, but I do too much highway driving to justify purchasing. Got a locker wait'n for me . I got a really good guy who builds drag racing vehicles, and he's done his share of rear ends. Thanks for the warning about US Gears, I was actually looking at a set of them. Thanks for the support guys!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Very true statement,

I like the Yukon and Yukon’s Master kits but each to their own. Most shops don't even like to install gearing because it's a big pain in the ***, not to mention most of them couldn't do it correctly anyway, but that's a different story!

Anyway, I would look around your local shops that have a good name and try to find a mechanic that has a niche for Mopar and likes to work on the Ram's. Most of those guys will have it down to a science and can work on them in any light, not to mention their really fast and do it right the first time. But if you know someone then great.

That's what I did and I had a great install job! I rolled out of there with about $1,550 short in my wallet, but that was both front and rear with a Dana 70 rear and a Dana 60 front and 2 odd small jobs while he was in there.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by a-master
As far as 4.88's go, I was considering it, but I do too much highway driving to justify purchasing. Got a locker wait'n for me . I got a really good guy who builds drag racing vehicles, and he's done his share of rear ends. Thanks for the warning about US Gears, I was actually looking at a set of them. Thanks for the support guys!
4.88s with 38 inch tires will keep your rpms pretty close to where they were with the stock tires/gears. 4.56 is going to keep your RPMs lower, and you are going to sacrifice low end grunt with those tires.

4.88s really are the better choice.

Quick Reply: The time has come for GEARS.