2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DTE / MPG computer calculation ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Paulietools
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTE / MPG computer calculation ??

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how DTE / MPG is calculated by our trucks?
I am guessing that since the display in the overhead console is coupled to the onboard CCD bus that it receives its info this way.
We have the optional 34 gallon tank in our truck but with all my research it appears that the fuel sending unit is the same for the standard 26 gallon tank. It seems to me that using the same sending unit in different size tanks would cause an error in the calculations unless there is programming change done in the PCM or other computer to account for the difference in math.
This also ties in with the confusion that I have about using the same sending unit in two different size gas tanks but still still getting accurate gas tank level readings.
Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think the larger capacity tanks are just longer, so, fuel sending unit remains accurate.

I have no clue how it calculates mileage, or DTE.

Quick Reply: DTE / MPG computer calculation ??