2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattle noise driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have emissions testing/inspection in your area? If not, just disconnect the pipe behind the cat, remove the pre-cat O2 sensor, and knock the crap out of the substrate in the cat...... pull out what you can, start the engine, and blow out the rest. Put the pipe back together, reinstall the O2 sensor, and don't worry about it.
No, I do not have emission testing here.
^^^Do It. Then get your muffler welded back on; its really, really loud otherwise.

Also of note: the last few pieces are a royal pain to get out (they like to avoid the prybar or whatever you use to break it up). What I did: bang on the case lightly (and I do mean lightly) with a small sledge. Make sure you're making contact with the actual cat housing, and not just the heat shield. The high pitched noise resonating inside the cat will aid in the break-up of the ceramic substrate... Or something like that. It worked for me.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm Kind of hit a problem....It looks like the Cat and the pipes are all one sealed unit

See here: http://www.dragtimes.com/images-clas...0503071012.jpg

Thats basically what the whole unit looks like....Impossible to get a bar down there into it ....Unless theirs a way to separate the cat from those pipes that I'm not seeing. :'(

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
grox
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cat was rattling because the heat shield busted a weld, so I just put some RTV where it was rattling and problem solved.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Cut the pipe about 3 inches behind the hanger, knock the stuffing out of the cat. Get a short piece of pipe that has the same inside diameter as the exhaust pipes outside diameter. Put a couple clamps on it. Done.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a connector like this will connect 2 pipes of the same size.
they're available at any parts store, as well as clamps.

DO remove your expensive O2 sensor from the pipe before beating on it with a hammer.

a Sawz-All makes a nice clean cut quick. hack saw as a last resort.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-41957/

Quick Reply: Rattle noise driving me crazy!!!