2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Crankshaft Seal of Doom

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

The repair sleeve, if you had one, would go on the crank...... so, that isn't the issue. And yes, it IS a tight fit. You could try a bit of RTV around the outer edge of the seal, to sorta lube it, it might go in easier that way. Just don't use very much.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get yourself a 2x4 and drill a hole in it with a hole saw to fit around the crank. Then tap the 2x4 in a circle all the way around the crank.

I put mine in with a 2x4 and a dead blow hammer when the timing cover was sitting on the table and it went in with ease. I did lube it with a little oil first though.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i've been using oil in moderation. I think the one i'm using now is tweaked. I'll get the new one tommorrow and try again.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Run your finger around the sealing surface on the timing cover to make sure there aren't any burrs on it before trying another seal.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:27 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Before trying to install my third crankshaft seal, I thouroghly cleaned and polished the seat in the timing cover, and the seal itself. After about 2 hours of failed attempts I bit the bullet and removed the timing cover again. After another hour of failed attempts I took it to my local machine shop and told them to do whatever it took. Everyone there took their best shot at it for about 30 minutes without success. They finally got it seated using a small press and a lot of care to not damage the cover. Fully seated it still protrudes about a 1/4 of an inch past the front of the cover. I told them that everyone here had advised me that it needed to be flush with the cover, but they showed me on the backside that it was completly bottomed out on the raised edge at the back of the hole. There is simply no way (at least on my crappy cover) to get the seal in any further. I wish I could remember how far the original one was before I removed it, but I didn't pay enough attention. Anyway, she's back toghether running fine without any leaks to speak of. I plan on putting a lot of short-range test drive miles before I take her too far though.

Quick Reply: Front Crankshaft Seal of Doom