2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help...46re transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:20 PM
97ram318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help...46re transmission trouble

i am having some troubles with my 46re transmission and can't quite seem to narrow it down to what it may be...the thing i do know is that the linkage is adjusted properly since the truck only starts in P and N. so here is what i have noticed.

i put the truck up on jackstands and started her up. i next put her into R and looked at the rear wheels turning which was good. even checked under the truck and made sure the driveshaft was turning which it was...but after a minute or so the rear wheels stopped turning and the driveshaft also stopped turning..

next i tried in D and this gear did fine..the rear tires were turning and the driveshaft turned as well without stopping so i am thinking that D gear is ok.

just to see what happened in D2 and D1 i shifted into each of those gears...in both D2 and D1 the wheels would turn, but only if i stepped on the gas and gave it some throttle..and as soon as i let off the gas the wheels stopped turning and immediately the engine stalled...

i am at a loss as to what could be happening but i am leaning towards a pressure issue in the valve body. someone also suggested to me to see if the bands need adjusting. i did however change out the governor pressure solenoid and transducer as well as the trans. control solenoids..those did not solve the problem however..i am in need of some helpful advice on where to look for the problem and what to do. thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: help...46re transmission trouble