2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TIRE selection HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005 | 03:45 AM
Spartan
|
Rookie
Default TIRE selection HELP!!!

Some one SAVE ME. Im 17 and i just put a 2" lift on my 99 4x4 quad cab. The stock 265's are long past dead and i need to replace them. I have the $1000 dollars nessacary to buy me just about any dam tire out there....but i have no idea what to get. Ive read review for about ever frickin tire but 99% of the peeople who choose to write the reveiws love em so much they dont say ANYTHING bad and then the others just trash em so much you wouldnt think there was anything good about it at all. All things considered i feel that the 4 Diff tires im looking at would preform relativly the same. So basicy right now im working off of looks and size and for that i THINK i would go with Bfgoodrich Muddterrains. I took a visit to the local discount tire and got to look at 3 of the 4 tires and the same 33" muddterrain from Bf goodrich was a good 1 1/2" higher then the Goodyear MTR's " those were what i was sold on before i went. SO any opions of advise would be greatly thanked because i plan to get new tires this week. the choices "so far" are:

1. Bf Goodrich MUDD terrain "tire is huge"
2. Bf Goodrich ALL terrain "i swear that tire is on every frickin lifted truck intown"
3. Bridgestone dueler M-T D "almost the exact same as the BF Mudd terrain tread just cheaper BUT i havnt see them in person and from the pics i would say they are not as big"
4. Goodyear MTR's " I think the tread looks awesome get good ratings BUT it was much narrower then the Bf goodriches in person and i wasnt expecting this"

P.S i live in michigan and snow is an issue....but road noise is. Baiscly from what i can tell these are all decent tires and that is why i cant make mt decision so help me out please! I think all the tires would look good and fill the wheel wells!!

Old 07-09-2005 | 11:28 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: TIRE selection HELP!!!

I'd go with the MTRs. They'll do better in the snow than the mudd terrains...or any other tire on that list for that matter. They're also 1000x quieter than the mudd terrains. The only bad thing I've ever heard about the MTRs is that some people have had excessive wear problems. I'm not sure if they were properly maintaining their tires though. In other words rotating them, inflating them to the correct pressure, checking the pressure once and a while..etc.

Also, something most people don't think about when buying larger tires is their gear ratio. The larger you go (above stock tire size), the more your performance will go down. I may or may not be noticeable depending on what you have for stock gears, motor, mods, etc. I know when I went from 245/75s to 265/75s it was suggested that I put in 4.30 ratio gears to maintain the performance I was seeing with my stock 4.10s. I didn't do that, as I couldn't find anyone that made 4.30 gears for my Dana 70. I didn't see much of a difference though, as I only went up an 1" in tire size and I already had 4.10s which are pretty beefy. I think a few mods to the motor helped as well

Old 07-09-2005 | 01:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

What about a Cooper tire. I almost got one of these before I decided on the BF Goodrich. They have one that is about as agressive as the BFG all terrain (first pic), and then they have a really cool mud terrain tire (second pic). See below:

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/4E6472E32398418E8C9CC8889140F641.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/6FD3091354A34A05965EEFA840A7F87A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2005 | 01:25 PM
mxmancr250
Professional

I think the Yokohama Geolander M/T plus looks badass and have heard good things about them. One things for sure, you won't have to worry about everybody and their mother having these tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dar+M%2FT+Plus

Old 07-10-2005 | 01:14 AM
Tani1500
Champion

or procomp mudds. there good to

Old 07-10-2005 | 06:02 AM
3500reddragon

Basics first: What will the tires (& truck) be used for primarily? Daily driving, off road, both, & if so, what percentage on each? If there will be significant off road, are you more concerned about mud, sand, rocks or all around? All have to be considered for what you want. Even tread life should be a factor. Before anyone can give you any advice valuable for your situation, these questions should be addressed and then the appropritate tire for the use can be selected.

Sorry that it's not a simple answer, but it is the truth. I could rattle off a decent tire style/make, but ultimately, will it do what you want it to do?

Old 07-11-2005 | 11:29 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

Ok, something for you to consider..... BEFORE you go eww.. you need to go look at them in person....
Futura Dakota's: they are an all Terrain and are WICKED in the snow....this was my big selling point on them....
They make 265 and 285 for 16 as well as a handfull of others.. last time I checked these were 40,000 or 50,000 mile tires too... I have had these same style tires on my last 4 vehicles...... if that isn't confidence, what is??? Even my 97 Cherokee when I went to 33's and used it as a recovery vehicle....
oh yeah, they were only $115 each when I bought this set fo 33's (285/75r16)'s

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/...uv/dakota.html

Old 07-11-2005 | 03:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'd say BFG MT's the AT's are supposed to suck in mud. The MT's do pretty well on the pavement and pretty well in snow but great in the mud. I like them a lot plus they last a long time and look good too. If not I would say the Kelly Safari MSR's would probably be my choice a friend has them on his truck and I like them a lot.

Old 07-11-2005 | 04:39 PM
theshocker
Veteran

I just got the bfg mt's about three months ago and so far I have no complaint's. I wasn't for sure if you were saying that raod noise is or is not an issue. Because these tires do sing a little bit . But, I have an exhaust that all but drowns that noise out. What I am saying is the raod noise is not that bad. The only off-road I have done with them was in a creek. There was alot of loose and slick rocks and the tires did great. I had a set of these on a wrangler at one time and did a ton of off-roading with them then and I was never dissapointed. So far, I am very pleased with these tires. Also, they re-designed the mt's and gave them a more agressive side wall wich makes them look great(IMO). I have noticed that they stay pretty clean as well. I hope this helps you make your mind up. If you have any ?'s feel free to ask.

Old 07-12-2005 | 02:17 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie

i would go with the pro comp all terrain tires. they are rated for severe weather on them, i have put 40k miles on them, and still tons of tread left( with tire rotation every oil change) good for some off roading if you bring them down into the low 30's psi. they have done me and my truck well. i have 285's on mine, for now. next time im going 315 but will probably stick with the pro comps. i live in jersey half the time, and they were great at pulling friends out of the snow, traction, and it handles very nicley. but this is all my opinion. i have had the BF, and all the other name brand tires on there before, and i wasnt as impressed with them, as i am with these.. and you can get them from 4wheelparts.com. but as i said my opinion, and i prolly have like 65% tred left on them after putting 40k on them already, and they have a 50k warranty on them.
good luck in looking for tires.. took me a while to pick these out too.
muah. have a good day
shannon

Quick Reply: TIRE selection HELP!!!