2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram Break Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Old Goat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram Break Line

I'm posting this in case someone else has the same problem, and to help someone prevent the problem.

I have a 96 Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab - ordered it new. I do NOT drive it in the winter (it has 57K miles) but found that the brake line has rusted through. It is on the left (drivers) side at the rear behind the gas tank where it meets the connection block on the frame - located above the rear axel.

It may be a good idea for the rest of you to keep this area lubricated with oil to prevent the problem.

Since I do not drive this truck very much (most of the miles were on long trips down south), I am thinking about selling it. It has a power drivers seat, Infinity stereo, PS, PB, PW,PL, tilt, cruise, 3:55 Sure-Loc, 360, and A/C. It's white with grey interior. No dents, dings, or scratches. 18 MPG Highway. Mobile 1. New tires, brakes, and shocks. From the prices I've seen, 7K seems reasonble.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 AM
94dodgeram
Default RE: 96 Ram Break Line

thanks for post, though i read it too late. '94 ram just had same problem. gonna try to replace it today, grrr.[quote]ORIGINAL: Old Goat

I'm posting this in case someone else has the same problem, and to help someone prevent the problem.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I just added this to someone elses thread about changing their fuel pump. When I spoke to the dealer about it, they said they use roll tubing to fix this... Personally I don't think that roll tubing is thick enough, so I bought new hard brake lines for auto parts and bent it myself. Took two pieces with a union/connector in the run, but they had the ends already on so I would not have to take a chance on my flaring giving out. Just put the longest section at the rear and measure for the front piece. Made and extra bend to not have to cut. Figure just check it every once in a while for comfort.

Just a note for anyone to check!!!! The brake line is prone to rusting behind the gas tank. If ever in area working, check it out!!!! Mine broke loose/split at an intersection. Luckily I was going slow enough to hit the park brake and try to push the pedal through the floor for some front brakes. Should have seen the guy in the Honda accords face. Priceless... Missed by 1-2 feet.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
speeddemon145
Professional

My 94 1500 did same thing here in fla. had to buy 2 sections of break line at part store and costom bend them myself to match what was left of the old one worked out good but had to drop gas tank to do it so changed out fuelpump asmbley wene it was out as its been acting up as well so fixed 2 things at one time.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Mine had the same issue, I replaced all of the brake lines since I was doing it.
The funny thing is that I never knew I had a blown brake line, I just thought the brakes sucked with 210L miles on them. THen I noticed a drip by the gas tank and noticed the line was busted. New line, new pads all around, new wheel cyclinders and a fresh bleed on the system and WOW the brakes are nice now. Still thinking about putting slots on the front the next I do pads there.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Nothing new to add. Just like it to stay up front in case someone hasn't seen this. If your in traffic it can hurt. Mine went all at once.
Didn't drop the tank to fix, just a pain to free the factory clips of the factory line.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram Break Line