2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New but not an owner......yet!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the advice guys.

i just got back from looking at it. of course it has the typical dings and dents for a 12 year old truck so nothing major there.

the windshield im not worried about cause i have a friend that works at a local auto glass place.

i wasn't able to take the air filter housing off due to me forgetting a screwdriver.

tranny shifted smooth but it didn't have as much power as i though it would have. maybe i just didn't get on it enough? it does have knobby tires on it so it had a little vibration which i assume is from the tires.

i know that with most used cars/trucks it won't be 100% perfect and some money will need to be dropped in it. worse case about the intake manifold if it does have problems, will the truck still be drivable and will it cause any damage if not fixed immediately?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

also this might be against forum rules, but can anyone run an autocheck/carfax on it? mods if this is against the rules just delete this post

Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You can drive it with a blown plenum, but, you will have some trouble like fouled plugs, possibly kill the cat, and the O2 sensor, excessive oil consumption, poor fuel economy, low power, and other things associated with a vacuum leak.

Might just ask him if it has ever been fixed. If he gives you the deer in the headlights look, that means "no", and you can expect to have to do it.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How big are the tires on the truck? When the tire size increases, the acceleration power decreases, unless the differentials are re-geared to match the tires and that doesn't happen too often.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:35 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
How big are the tires on the truck? When the tire size increases, the acceleration power decreases, unless the differentials are re-geared to match the tires and that doesn't happen too often.
if i recall correctly 265/xx/16. what is stock? not sure it would look right with stocks on it

Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's actually the mist common stock size on these trucks. Although some of those knobby meats ate heavy. The blown plenum isn't helping your power any and if you aren't all the way in it you missed quite a bit of the power lol.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

aight guys i got it today! i actually ended up trading him my 1982 chevy c10. it needed some work so in the end i think it was an even trade!

so far im loving it. only thing i've seen so far is the master key is kinda picky about unlocking the door. is it possible to add a keyless remote without adding anything else?

i'll for sure be getting my read on around the forum and will ask tons of questions! so please bare with me and pardon my non mechanic ignorance

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!! Have fun

Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Grab yourself a can of PB Blaster, and put the stick in the nozzle. Put the end of the stick in the lock cylinder, and give it a blast or three. Put the key in there, and work the lock. Do this until is works smoothly, then, hit the inside of the lock with some spray white lithium grease. It will be quite some time before they give you any trouble again.

You would have to get some flavor of system that when you punched the button, it would suggest to the locks that they unlock. There are many such systems on the market.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

will do heyyou!

i'll add some pics sometime this week.

edit: just curious where is the best place to get aftermarket parts? lmc seemed to do the trick for my chevy but im sure there are tons for dodges too! just wanna get a sense of where people are getting parts if ever needed

Last edited by blackbeasst; 06-12-2011 at 10:32 PM.