2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I was going down the interstate and the bolts that hold the straps that hold the joint in sheared off and dropped the drive shaft. I got it out with some pulling with my foot on the crossmember. I put the shaft in the bed and drove it home in 4h stayed under 30mph going home.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
Yep I was going down the interstate and the bolts that hold the straps that hold the joint in sheared off and dropped the drive shaft. I got it out with some pulling with my foot on the crossmember. I put the shaft in the bed and drove it home in 4h stayed under 30mph going home.
I would have shat my pants if that happened to me. I doubt you hurt anything in the transfer case, BUT your seat is a different story!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 12 year old sister with me and once I got off the road I made her go as far off the road as she could. I got under the truck and worked on it. some guy in a chip truck about plowed my truck when I was under it I though I was going to die.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, you guy were right that it's not leaking at the center of the housing... it's leaking from the front where it connects to the trans I think.

And then also, my trans is still leaking but not from a seal. I've located it to this area. I know nothing about trannys so could anybody let me know what I'm looking at here.

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably leaking from the seal between the transmission and transfer case. My truck is currently doing this and I have got to fix it too. Sheriff's DIY on removing the transfer case also shows how to replace the seal on the tranny. I'm not really looking forward to it!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Quick Reply: Transfer case leaking