2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recessed open air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
idahoprime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recessed open air cleaner?

I know i need a 14x3" air cleaner and an s-bolt for my 1997 ram with a 5.9L, i know a lot of people suggest the edelbrock, but i found one that is the same dimensions but its black, which i would prefer, and its cheaper.

heres the link

its 5 1/8" at the bas so i know it will fit the throttle body but it is recessed, does anyone know if this will be OK on my 360? Is the edelbrock one just as recessed? i just dont know if this will clear all the stuff around the throttle body. If you guys think it might be risky ill just get a chrome edelbrock. Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Do you know the specs on that air cleaner? As in, how much of a drop base that is? The chrome edelbrock air cleaners from Advanced and Autozone have a 1.25" drop base, so you would need a 1/2" spacer in order to clear the throttle body linkage like you said.

If you find an air cleaner with only a 1/2" drop base you will not need any spacer. I believe the Edelbrock 1223 is only a .625" drop base, and you shouldn't need a spacer with that, and it is also black! Hope this helps.

Here is a pic

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 AM
idahoprime

thanks for the info, im checking with the manufacturer for specs. That black edelbrock is very nice, but, its about twice as much as the chrome edelbrocks from auto zone etc, and the black one i found. seems silly to spend twice as much, if the one i found wont work without a weird spacer i may just get a chrome edelbrock... thanks again

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 AM
idahoprime

ugh, alright, looked around a bit. i just want to get the right air cleaner the first time. this place basically has 4 different ones.

recessed - flat - off set - hi lip

i already ordered an s-bolt, so i wouldnt need the off set one. But out of the other 3, what would fit best on the 5.9L TB? or am i just overthinking this WAY too much haha. Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

It just depends on how it was made. My 10x2 is flat, bolted right up. Recessed is what you were talking about earlier, and offset is just that, the hole is offset.

Quick Reply: Recessed open air cleaner?