2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
DirtyGirl
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with air conditioning

I've looked through the forum but I can't seem to find the exact problem my friend is having with his air conditioning. He has a 1995 ram 1500 with the 5.9 4wd. I have no idea if the two issues are related or not, but the issues are: 1. The air conditioning only blows warm air, but does have the variable fan speeds. 2. Air will only blow out of the lower vents, but continues to blow on the lower vents even when switched to the other settings. The main issue is he has the infamous dodge cracked dash, so if he has to take the dash out of the truck chances are it will crumble like mine did. Is there any way to get this fixed without tearing the dash out? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Both problems could be caused by a vacuum leak. The vent controls and climate controls are actuated by engine vacuum. A loss of vacuum due to a leak would cause this problem.

The hot a/c could also be caused by a leaking a/c system, but check vac lines first, as it could explain both.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Temp door is cable operated on the 95, not to say the door may have broken loose from its axle, not to mention the possibility of a cable problem. (loose, misadjusted, etc.) Also, if there is a loss of vacuum, the system defaults to defrost...... if it is always staying on the floor vents, chances are the control head is toast.

There really isn't any good way to address the problem, if it is indeed internal to the heater box itself. Gotta pull the dash to get it out. (so, might as well pick up a new dash, and do that at the same time..... replacing heater, and evap cores really wouldn't be such a bad plan either.)

Is the A/C compressor running when you have the fan set to the A/C side of the scale?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
duggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a vacuum leak, where should one start to look first?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Check valve that should be there in the bag o' snakes on the passenger side of the engine, toward the back. Lots of cheap plastic lines back there, that get brittle with age, and break too.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
DirtyGirl
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help! I'll take a look at it with him today, i'll let you know if I have any more questions about it. I've been a little busy because today it the day my brother gets rid of his Toyota Taco and gets an '86 RamCharger. The a/c in that thing needs to be fixed too so i'll figure it out on that one first. Hopefully.

Quick Reply: Problems with air conditioning