2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear brakes on my 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 PM
shanemg2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brakes on my 1500

i have a dodge ram 1500 w/ 5.9 gas w/ abs. i had to replace a rear left and right brake cylinders, well not the right one but i did it any ways. i have tried to bleed them but i can't get nothing out.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
shanemg2006

it is a 4 x 2 sorry

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Close the rear bleeders. Have a friend pump up the brakes, and crack open one of the FRONT bleeders. You will want to have the bleeder broke loose already, so that it doesn't require a great deal of effort to open it up when the time comes. The idea here is to "shock" the proportioning valve back into the correct position.

Then try bleeding the rears again. It takes a while to get fluid back there, what I usually do, is open one of the bleeders slightly, and stick my finger over the end, and have someone else pump the pedal, until I start getting fluid blowing my finger off the valve. (and more fluid than air.....) Doing the pump, open, close, pump, open.... etc, thing with empty lines, you will be at it forever. I get bored easily, so use the aforementioned method.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 AM
shanemg2006

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Close the rear bleeders. Have a friend pump up the brakes, and crack open one of the FRONT bleeders. You will want to have the bleeder broke loose already, so that it doesn't require a great deal of effort to open it up when the time comes. The idea here is to "shock" the proportioning valve back into the correct position.

Then try bleeding the rears again. It takes a while to get fluid back there, what I usually do, is open one of the bleeders slightly, and stick my finger over the end, and have someone else pump the pedal, until I start getting fluid blowing my finger off the valve. (and more fluid than air.....) Doing the pump, open, close, pump, open.... etc, thing with empty lines, you will be at it forever. I get bored easily, so use the aforementioned method.
sorry it took me so long to write you back thanks for the info it works great.....

Quick Reply: rear brakes on my 1500