2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help with flashing check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
gipperkid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with flashing check engine light

So I haven't driven my truck since Saturday and this I go out to start it and it acts likr it has a miss or something. I have a heavy load of soggy land scaping timbers in the bed, and I head down the road and it seems like I have no power. Under hard acceleration the truck would not rev past 2500 rpms and the CEL would start flashing. I let off the gas and it quit. With gradual acceleration it was fine. It did this three times on the way to work. It sat for a about 10 minutes at work, then I had to drop my son off at scout day camp, and the truck ran fine. Should I be worried or do I need to do a tune up?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Wonder if something just got wet. Has it been raining there? How does the seal look above the motor at the back of the hood? (right above the distributor, oddly enough....)

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM
talthyren
Veteran

Flashing CEL: Problem that requires immediate attention

Solid CEL: Problem that requires attention soon

FYI, incase you didn't know.

I agree with HeyYou, sounds like a distributor issue to me, Leave your hood up for a few hours, give things a chance to dry out then try it again.

Last edited by talthyren; 06-21-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
vdubn
Amateur

Actually, flashing CEL is traditionally a missfire, which as you stated, requires immediate attention. So, either a bad plug, plug wire, cap, rotor, coil, or plugged exhaust/catalytic converter, can cause all of those issues. Also, if the issue happens to be at all related to the fuel level of the truck, then you should suspect a fuel pump. As the fuel level drops, air enters the fuel system, causes missfires. I believe across all OBD systems, the flashing CEL is reserved for missfires, but I could be mistaken, in that some manufacturers may program the flashing CEL for other malfunctions.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Patriotblue43

Why not do the key ON/OFF 3 time thingy and check to see if you have any codes in the computer? If it is a misfire, it could point to the paticular cylinder that is misfiring. If it points to #8 cylinder, suspect the intake manifold plenum problem... Good luck.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
talthyren
Veteran

Originally Posted by Patriotblue43
Why not do the key ON/OFF 3 time thingy and check to see if you have any codes in the computer? If it is a misfire, it could point to the paticular cylinder that is misfiring. If it points to #8 cylinder, suspect the intake manifold plenum problem... Good luck.
This has never worked for me, I think that trick only works for Newer Chrysler's.....correct me if im wrong. Never works in my 99.

Quick Reply: Need help with flashing check engine light