2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Loss of Power at Low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
HokieTim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Loss of Power at Low RPMs

Hey guys (and maybe a few gals),

First things first, vehicle specs: Ram 2500, 5.9L gas, 4x4

About 8 months ago the truck started to "sputter" between 1,500 to <3,000 rpm. It was intermittent and could get it to get back up to power by pumping the accelerator a little bit. Recently though it has become more frequent and doesn't respond to working the accelerator (Never has completely stalled though). I've taken it to 2 mechanics. First mechanic put on a new TPS, which didn't help. He figured it was the fuel pump, but didn't have the right size gauge for the truck. So I took it to another shop that had the appropriate gauge. Fuel pressure was fine when it sputtered. He's going to try a new O2 sensor, and also try running the truck without the exhaust to see if the cat is the problem, both of which he wasn't too positive was the problem. Both mechanics have checked all the wires and connections.

Has anybody seen a similar problem? Any possible causes? Any wild guesses? Feel free, because the fishing has been good, but I don't have a truck to get the boat to the lake (which means I have to stick around the house and do more honey-do's than typical!).

Thanks,
HokieTim

Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just unscrew the precat O2 sensor and see how it runs for a short period of time. No need to remove the cat yet.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM
HokieTim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic put a new O2 sensor on it, and he says it seems to run better, but problem is still occurring. Which doesn't surprise me since I've run it for a couple weeks in the past with no problems then one day it starts acting up again.

To date we know the fuel pressure is good, all the wires have been checked, new O2 sensor, new TPS, new distributor cap and rotor, and no error codes.

I doubt this is associated with the problem, but a few months ago I kept on getting error codes for a small vacuum leak (typically associated with a loose gas cap) even though the gas cap was tight. I had to fill the truck up with fuel before I could get the code to go away.

Any suggestions as to the problem?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

check the grounds up by the power steering pump, and also up by the radiator, on the drivers side. (and any others you happen to find while looking for those....)

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said, Unscrew the precat o2 and take it for a quick drive and see what it does.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Loss of Power at Low RPMs