2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulled the pre cat o2 and man what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:38 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your intake looks great, I think your plenum is fine. Replace or gut your cat. They do just clog up with time, i said USUALLY its the plenum on these trucks that clogs them, but not always.

If you opt to gut or chop it off it, and get a CEL, do the trick with the spark plug non-foulers i linked you. If you need help PM me, its not too difficult. make sure you find a place that carries non foulers that will fit your truck BEFORE you chop the cat.

Last edited by talthyren; 06-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talthyren
Your intake looks great, I think your plenum is fine. Replace or gut your cat. They do just clog up with time, i said USUALLY its the plenum on these trucks that clogs them, but not always.

If you opt to gut or chop it off it, and get a CEL, do the trick with the spark plug non-foulers i linked you. If you need help PM me, its not too difficult. make sure you find a place that carries non foulers that will fit your truck BEFORE you chop the cat.
thanks tal! now i just gotta find someone to chop it off for dirt cheap

Old 06-26-2011, 01:08 PM
talthyren
Veteran

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
thanks tal! now i just gotta find someone to chop it off for dirt cheap
The cheapest option would be to just gut your cat yourself, not weld in a pipe.

1. Remove the pre-cat O2 to prevent damaging it.

2. hacksaw off the exhaust pipe 1-2 inches behind the cat

3. using a broomhandle or other long narrow instrument bash and smash all the crap inside the cat out until you can see right through it.

4. Remove as much of the junk as you can by hand.

5. Start up the truck and give it a few good revs, this should shoot all the crap you busted up out the exhaust pipe.

6. Check again, make sure cat is not obstructed, then use a U clamp to re-attach the pipe and reinstall the O2 sensor.

Your done

If your not comfortable with this, any muffler shop will chop your cat for cheap.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Most muffler shops will replace your cat, but, very few of them will gut it, or, install a 'test pipe', as that is just a bit on the illegal side. Some independent shops will do either for you, for cash. No receipt, and they will deny any knowledge of having done so, should you get a ticket for it.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

HeyYou can you just Replace all O2 sensors, pull em out and put new ones in? Will this give you a CEL Light. Just looked at my o2 sensors and they look old as crap. Was thinking about replacing them when i go crazy with everything else in two weekends. I only have 2 total and i dont think it would be much of a pain. Is there any DYIs for replacing these or Pics even??

Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most muffler shops will replace your cat, but, very few of them will gut it, or, install a 'test pipe', as that is just a bit on the illegal side. Some independent shops will do either for you, for cash. No receipt, and they will deny any knowledge of having done so, should you get a ticket for it.
Yeah I got a couple people who are mom and pop shops. My luck I'd replace it and it would clog again! If it doesn't affect anything by replacing it and its cheap ill go that route!

And without emissions I'm not sure who or how I would get a ticket!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Once again! opening up the plates and looking down is a WASTE of time! Remove the damn TB so you can see wtf is in there. The oil pools around the sides and corners. Whatever though, do it how you want.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Once again! opening up the plates and looking down is a WASTE of time! Remove the damn TB so you can see wtf is in there. The oil pools around the sides and corners. Whatever though, do it how you want.
easy there buddy. im sure you are a legend around here but from looking at your posts since you started back you have been nothing but a ***** IMO.

not all of us are well versed in these trucks or have the means to do what you can do.

just chill out, be patient and lend a hand in a nice way

Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, there bud! I don't know what your problem is with me and I don't care to tell you the truth. Stop posting that just looking down the throttle plates for oil pooling to check the plenum, would be a start for a better relationship.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
HeyYou can you just Replace all O2 sensors, pull em out and put new ones in? Will this give you a CEL Light. Just looked at my o2 sensors and they look old as crap. Was thinking about replacing them when i go crazy with everything else in two weekends. I only have 2 total and i dont think it would be much of a pain. Is there any DYIs for replacing these or Pics even??
Yep, remove the old ones, put in the new ones, reset the PCM, so it is forced to relearn the sensor inputs. If you aren't getting a code for your post-cat O2, leave it. It isn't all that important.

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
Yeah I got a couple people who are mom and pop shops. My luck I'd replace it and it would clog again! If it doesn't affect anything by replacing it and its cheap ill go that route!

And without emissions I'm not sure who or how I would get a ticket!
In all reality, I don't think I have EVER seen anyone get a ticket for removing emissions equipment. Of course, I live in Michigan, in a county that doesn't do any sort of testing at all, neither do the surrounding counties. The one north of me was talking about it for a while, but, nothing has happened, and it has been a couple years......

Still, emissions here are federal laws, and removing it by a licensed shop can get them in deep dark trouble. None of the 'big name' shops around here will do so. The little shop I worked at..... the owner, me, and another guy...... would do anything you wanted. If it wasn't strictly legal though, no work order, not receipt, and cash only.

Quick Reply: Pulled the pre cat o2 and man what a difference!