2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank sensor

First let me say you guys are a wealth of info. here. I'm new but would stop in from time to time to read some of the forums and now I have joined and Great site too thanks. Now to the problem I have a 1994 2500 with a 5.9 and I'm trying to replace the crank sensor. I found it but it looks like the egr tube is in the way. Do I have to remove it or am I able to work around it.The reason I'm replacing it is because the truck will not start sometimes. I replaced the fuel pump and did find a broken ground wire.I was told that if the tach doesn't move when trying to start it it's the crank sensor.Is this correct? Thanks for your help

Last edited by dodgerules-othersdroll; 07-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Raminator2001

not sure i have a 01 non EGR. go to the FAQ and download the service manual,it should give you a step by step walk-through

Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules-othersdroll
First let me say you guys are a wealth of info. here. I'm new but would stop in from time to time to read some of the forums and now I have joined and Great site too thanks. Now to the problem I have a 1994 2500 with a 5.9 and I'm trying to replace the crank sensor. I found it but it looks like the egr tube is in the way. Do I have to remove it or am I able to work around it.The reason I'm replacing it is because the truck will not start sometimes. I replaced the fuel pump and did find a broken ground wire.I was told that if the tach doesn't move when trying to start it it's the crank sensor.Thanks for your help

Unscrew the precat o2 sensor and see if it starts.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

Nothing on the egr tube ? wow ok thanks

Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You don't have to remove the EGR tube. It's a PITA to replace even on later models without EGR. Get yourself a mirror so you can see back there.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

OK after 4hours 2 spent on top trying to figure how to get to the crank sensor. I could not get my arms in there no way, so I sat down had a and thought lets try dropping the motor. well I pulled the bolts to the motor mounts and I could just get my arms back there but still working blind. Now I'm starting to get ticked . The egr tube is right over the top bolt and I can't get a socket on it. So I have another and went under to look and now I can the bottom bolt clear but not the top. I removed the plastic liner in the wheel well and now i can just reach the top bolt. I also have a metal liner in there too and had to bend it so i could reach the top bolt alot better.I had to unbolt the tranny tube and swing it out of the way and now I can see the top bolt.I had to cut a 1/4" allen key to about 1/2" long so it would fit under the egr tube.Well after all that it back together in about 20 min. and I hit the key and started up with no problem. I just hope this is it and I hope this helps someone else out there. So thanks for all your help and to all. Thanks again

Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgerules-othersdroll
OK after 4hours 2 spent on top trying to figure how to get to the crank sensor. I could not get my arms in there no way, so I sat down had a and thought lets try dropping the motor. well I pulled the bolts to the motor mounts and I could just get my arms back there but still working blind. Now I'm starting to get ticked . The egr tube is right over the top bolt and I can't get a socket on it. So I have another and went under to look and now I can the bottom bolt clear but not the top. I removed the plastic liner in the wheel well and now i can just reach the top bolt. I also have a metal liner in there too and had to bend it so i could reach the top bolt alot better.I had to unbolt the tranny tube and swing it out of the way and now I can see the top bolt.I had to cut a 1/4" allen key to about 1/2" long so it would fit under the egr tube.Well after all that it back together in about 20 min. and I hit the key and started up with no problem. I just hope this is it and I hope this helps someone else out there. So thanks for all your help and to all. Thanks again
I hope you bought an OEM crank sensor, or you maybe doing this again.
When it comes to crank and cam sensors stick with OEM, aftermarket are junk.
I had replaced mine witha NAPA sensor and had nothing but problems, OEM cleared up all my issues.
Good luck I hope you dont have to do it again.

Dave

Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

Thank you Dave and I don't want to do it again. I hope this one works.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I told you it was a PITA. this guy sure would have come in handy(no pun intended) LOL

Name:  8c30a1c9.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  13.6 KB

Quick Reply: crank sensor