2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question reverse lights

My reverse lights seem to refuse to come on, I checked to make sure I was getting a full circuit, and that the bulbs were good. Not sure what else could be, heard about neutral safety switch but would like to hear more. any tips?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM
chadwall
Professional

Who needs em? Ain't that bright anyways. If u get in accident just say they were working, hard to prove a rear end collision didn't mess them up...

Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Kingsnap
Rookie

Check you trailer light hook up. Mine was the opposite I could not get my to go out. My Reese hitch was bent where the light hookup was and when I took the 5 prong connector off the harness it allowed the lights to go out.. Just a thought...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
simidrm

[quote=king_moaoe;2543111]My reverse lights seem to refuse to come on, I checked to make sure I was getting a full circuit, and that the bulbs were good. Not sure what else could be, heard about neutral safety switch but would like to hear more. any tips?[/quote
Automatic or manual tranny?

The 47re has a 3 wire flat plug the 2 outer wires are reverse lights one is power,the other goes to the reverse lights so using a test light or volt meter
unplug the reverse light switch and check for power on the wiring side of plug
if no power check your fuse,or wiring,if there is power then use a jumper wire from the power side to reverse light side if you get lights then the switch is bad,if not then the issue is in the harness from the tranny to the tail lights.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
king_moaoe
Rookie

i need them since backing up in pitch black is pretty hard when all you can do is tap brake so you have a red glow for second.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you get the original lights working, then you can tap the wire and run an additional light (or pair of lights).

there's a fuse in the end of the dash.
and the switch that turns them on/off is the neutral safety switch. its in the trans, drivers side, near the front, in the middle of all the shifter linkage.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...installed.html
i used a simple pair from northern tool, but they keep burning out. maybe because they are not sealed?

Quick Reply: reverse lights