2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint just wont pop. It wont free up Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont get where Im using a breaker bar or and Impact. If im trying to brake the ball joint lose I use a pickel fork beteween it rite? so where does a breaker bar???? or and impact???? really dont get that

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
picture of where your at is worth a million words. If your not willing to search this forum for the 2001 dodge ram service manual atleast pop your phone out take a pic and upload it to photobucket and show us.

heres the link for the service manual if you dont have a digital camera

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...chematics.html
haha my best advice would be go read the 2001 service manual on ball joints. Its so pathetic its unreal. Haynes manual had more an Haynes Sucks!!!! all the shop manual off dodge forum had was 2 diagramds of a mopar rool taking out a ball joint. What I call BS. I hate the fact that i have to join another site instaead of uploading directly

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you trying to remove the ball joint or get the knuckle off the ball joint? You did remove the nut right?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A pickel fork is use to sperate parts not for balljoint removel, the tool you need to remove the balljoint is in the pic below, from what I understand you can rent one from your auto parts store.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Are you trying to remove the ball joint or get the knuckle off the ball joint? You did remove the nut right?
Haha yes. I used the pickle fork because I saw you tube videos that showed to remove the ball joint using a pickle fork. I'm going to work on it today when I get off work at 230.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
A pickel fork is use to sperate parts not for balljoint removel, the tool you need to remove the balljoint is in the pic below, from what I understand you can rent one from your auto parts store.
I already rented one. I watched a you tube video where the guy was saying that you can remove the ball joints using a pickle fork. Would I have messed up my ball joints by trying to pry them out with a pickle fork? The one I poped out with one I had a real bitch of a time pressing it back in. Its almost all the way but not quite seated. I broke 2 craftsman breaker bars and an adapter trying to get it all the way in with the press

Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Are you trying to remove the ball joint or get the knuckle off the ball joint?

well which is it?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

well which is it?
Driver side ball joint only. Passanger side I was trying to get the knuckle off so I could replace the hub since the factory service manual from dodge forum says u have to take all that **** off to replace the hub when I could of just pulled the hub out. So now I'm trying to just get the upper ball joint passanger side seated flush and then put in the new hub. Drivers side upper ball joint only.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

So you got the knuckle off the driver side I assume?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see how you get so frustrated now zman. I did this job with the service manual, impact drill, and a ball joint press and the only screw up i had was trying to pop the ball joints on the bottom up cause i thought logically thats how they would put them in. When i started looking at it more carefully i noticed they went down. DOH! change the clamp impact it and BOOM there out. got fed up with the top ones cause couldnt get impact in there so pulled off control arms took it to a press shop in town had em press in new control arm bushings and ball joints for 25 bucks.

Quick Reply: Ball joint just wont pop. It wont free up Help!