2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint just wont pop. It wont free up Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
i see how you get so frustrated now zman. I did this job with the service manual, impact drill, and a ball joint press and the only screw up i had was trying to pop the ball joints on the bottom up cause i thought logically thats how they would put them in. When i started looking at it more carefully i noticed they went down. DOH! change the clamp impact it and BOOM there out. got fed up with the top ones cause couldnt get impact in there so pulled off control arms took it to a press shop in town had em press in new control arm bushings and ball joints for 25 bucks.
I'm so confused it's ridiculous (everyone else too). Not to mention more than one thread.

And don't forget he's working on 4x4.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a blowtorch. I had to heat up my idler arm before it would come free, a little bit of heat and just have to tap the pickle fork with my hammer and it came right out.

I know this question is about Dodge Ram's but my father in law heat to heat up the lower ball joint on his F150 to get them out.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

do u know what size the boots would be for my ball joints? I knicked at least one or two up yeasterday and I want to have replacement boots just in case.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Try a blowtorch. I had to heat up my idler arm before it would come free, a little bit of heat and just have to tap the pickle fork with my hammer and it came right out.

I know this question is about Dodge Ram's but my father in law heat to heat up the lower ball joint on his F150 to get them out.
That's a no-no. Never use heat on steering & suspension components *unless* the pieces in question are not to be re-used. Heat from a blowtorch can damage the steering rods, spindles, and even the A-arms. I don't understand why you used heat on the idle arm when the correct puller will remove it -- a pickle fork is not the correct tool. A propane torch doesn't produce near as much heat as an Oxy torch, which is what I would recommend. Remember, the lives of the driver, any passengers, and other people on the road all depend on the strength of those components.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaither0
do u know what size the boots would be for my ball joints? I knicked at least one or two up yeasterday and I want to have replacement boots just in case.
I really don't think you'll find those separate.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

I was able to get both knuckles off today. I couldn't get the lower ball joint off at all on the passanger side. Now onto the ball joint press. My buddy seems to think its to small. I've tryed to use it without any luck. It does seem extremly small. I can't seem to press the ball joints out with it or press them in. Can sort of press in. Just can't press out it just doesn't seem to open enought

Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

I finally did get everything done. I replaced all the ball joints and the wheel bearing. I had alot of problems but it was mainly that I had never used a ball joint press before or done anything like that. I got it all done and I'm going to put a write up on here with pictures and my main problem was pressing the ball joints out and hopefully it will help everyone.

Quick Reply: Ball joint just wont pop. It wont free up Help!