2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death wobble + Bilstein issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
jobgaas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble + Bilstein issue

1996 1500 4x4 extended cab 5.2 L, 5spd NV4500; factory original w/ 128k; new engine and new tranny.

Ordered Bilstein shocks, B46-2129 and B46-2130 to replace the very poor performing Monroes I put on a year ago for factory orignals.

I have to share that the new Bilstein's for the the front end don't fit and worse!

The hardware kit with the new front end Bilsteins includes a nylon hex nut, one washer and a sleave. Where are the rubber grommets and other washer?
A call to Bilstein confirmed the part numbers and hardware contents are correct. They recommended that I buy the gromments and other missing hardware from Dodge! (anyone who has replaced shocks knows this is BS).

Hoping to reuse the old grommets I, pulled off one of the front end Monroe's (not dead but weak) and tried to install the Bilstein. Upper bayonnet is 3/16" shorter in D than the Monroe. Can't use the old grommets if I wanted to. Lower end of the shock is 1/4" wider than the bracket mounting. Confirmed this by measuring the Monroe.

The sleave does not go anywhere in this application.

Shared all this with my supplier and Bilstein (NC and CA). They don't understand it either.

Sending all 4 (front and rear) back to the supplier. I am so disappointed with Bilstein that I'm not even going to try mounting a rear shock.

More history:

Recently had the front axle and drive train u-joints replaced. Had a rebuilt NV4500 tranny installed (no oil in the NV3500?). My mech replaced both hubs and front bearings.

Picked up I think is the begining of the much described "Death Wobble", 62-67 mph the front tires whine and above 70 the front end gets unstable. Every bounce in the road causes the front end to swerve and become unstable. Steering is bucking in turns.

Am in the process of rebuilding the front steering since an inspection of the components did not point to a problem. My approach is to replace everything. Being an engineer, and home wrench head, I undertand bad components contributing to bad harmonics.

New track bar did not help. New stabilizer studs did not help.

Have and will install new tie rod ends and drag links.

New arm bushings just showed from FedEx up so I'm back in the garage agin.

Frank

Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie
Default RE: Death wobble + Bilstein issue

send them back if they are going to tell you to buy the other parts else where. my ranchos came with everything. the only problem with rancho was that their own grommets didnt want to fit so they were shaved down to fit, and i have not had a problem with them at all.
they are expensive but so far have been worth the 300 and something dollars i spent on the from 4wheelparts.com.
good luck with your shocks.
shannon

Old 07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

The ranchos I put on the front of my 1996 Ram had lower bushings that were too big for the bolts, say rattled around util I Had replacements shipped in, so I feel your pain. The front end wobbling, I found mine to be mostly the steering stabilizer and a little form the trac bar. So I would start with the steering stabilizer, I used a Rancho one and it fit perfectly in about 30 minutes.

BTW: I have 213k miles on all original front end, so every bit is getting replaced as I get the time. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:39 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

get an alignment after you replace all of your parts (or not), and have them put the caster as far max as possible. this will fix your unstableness. as long as everything is reasonably tight in the front end... the caster will get rid of your DW.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:18 AM
jobgaas

New suspension arm bushings (Energy Suspension) did the trick. Highway speed tire whine is completely gone and the bucking in turns is greatly reduced. Noticed that the bushings were soft and the ends worn. I drilled out the rubber with a drill press which allowed me to easily press out the sleeve. Then pried out the bushing. Still, this job took 10 hours.

I still have some wobble over bumps but I'm sure that will go away with new shocks. Edelbrocks since the Bilstein's weren't going to fit and they are clueless as to what the issue is. Throwing on new tie rod ends and drag links just because I already have them and then off for alignment.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:00 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

max caster!

Old 07-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Tani1500
Champion

that sucks, I was thinking about getting them too. hey steve, if i put max caster with my in lift and 35. will they rub. my friend did that and they rub.

Old 07-17-2005, 12:52 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I wouldnt think so but I dont know for sure. that is the way to fix the DW though... you might need adjustable length control arms to put the axle back in its correct location if you have a higher lift. the higher you go, the more it pulls the axle back towards the cab.

Quick Reply: Death wobble + Bilstein issue