2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove a car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Capslock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove a car alarm

i know, that sounds like a very sketchy question. I can assure you that my intentions are legit and it's for my own vehicle.

I bought my 1995 ram 1500 4x4 slt 3 years ago.

Last year I replaced the plugs and the belt, to do so I disconnected the battery.

After plugging everything back together my truck went into this paranoid state where no matter what I do the car alarm sounds. Searched the internet and all solutions for my car alarm, a checkmate system, did not calm the system down. Every combination of the under the dash switch did nothing.

Worse yet the checkmate manufacturer is no longer in business.

My solution so far, that I found to work, is to put the key into the run position and leave it there for the next 3 steps, disconnect the negative cable to the battery, reconnect, then start the car.

Now I am looking to sell or trade my truck, but I have this problem.

How can I remove the security system? especially when I can't even find a manual on it because the company is no longer in business?

thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

There is a 95 service manual available for download here.

Grab that, and then have a look at what wires go to the alarm system. They should be labeled on the unit somewhere... I think... otherwise, you may be able to find a wiring diagram online via google.... Worst case scenario, you will have to figger out what wires are going where, and doing what, and fix 'em. Factory manual will help with that.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Capslock

that's perfect; i love having service manuals for my toys. Thank you.

It looks like the vehicle theft alarm part has been excluded, and my security system is an aftermarket - but I'm sure I can still parse something out of this manual anyways

Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 PM
hawaiian

something else you might try. is with your remote try lock unlock three times. on mine that reset the alarm.
thats
lock unlock
lock unlock
lock unlock.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Capslock

no remote, just the key.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are selling the truck, find the box/module or whatever it's called under the dash. Trace the wires and disconnect them one at a time and repair/reconnect the oem part of the wire. My 98 had an alarm(which I saved) And just simply had to follow each wire from the , uhh, box I guess it's called. LOL

Quick Reply: How to remove a car alarm