2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Double problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Dodge-itor-ramit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Double problem

1998 ram 5.9 4x4 46RE lost all of the transmission so I changed the fluid and filter. it didn't smell burnt at all. I kept hearing a gurgling noise at start up before this happened that I thought was the radiator but wasn't.

Now I have Reverse and no forward gears and leaking ATF at the converter so I replaced the solenoid and checked that the filter was in correctly. Still same problem. If my pump is bad or my valve body could that cause the leak. using atf +4 and read thru a lot of this forum but never found both problems at once.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM
A_POLVADO
Professional

sounds like you spun the pump bushing. The seal is only supposed to hold back what the bushing lets past. No saying that is the complete problem but I know your bushing is bad

Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Dodge-itor-ramit

Thanks, I found a core with the transfer case in the junkyard for $50 so I am going to see if I can make one good one out of the two.

Quick Reply: Double problem