2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 Transmission Problem gone haywire

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
sweetevil28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 Transmission Problem gone haywire

To anyone who can help.... HELLLLP. I have a 98 Ram 1500 2WD. My engine overheated and the tranny started bleeding fluid. To remedy the overheating I've flushed the radiator, checked the coolant lines and radiator for clogs, and changed the thermostat. Which leads me to question 1.

1. Based on what I've already trouble shot is there something I can do in addition to stop my engine temp from increasing when I stop at a light or am climbing a long hill?

I've had the transmission replaced by an auto yard and drove it home 30 min on the highway (no overheat). As soon as I got off the highway 1st gear started slipping. Question 2.

2. WTH? Is it a bad tranny too or did I shread it somehow like the last one?

Finally, the day after I brought it home I moved the truck and It was idling very sloppy like my gremlin would do when the timing was off.

3. Would this be a symptom that can help me troubleshoot my trans problems?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I suspect you have multiple problems there......

How does your coolant look? Is it staying clean? Circulating well? Might wanna pick up an infrared thermometer from the parts store, and check various spots on your radiator..... there shouldn't be an hot, or cold spots, where the temp is dramatically different than elsewhere. Should decrease fairly steadily from the upper left (drivers side) corner, to the opposite corner. If it doesn't, I would suspect a clogged radiator. Might wanna take it off and flush it out in any event.

Any kind of warranty on your 'new' trans? If so, have a chat with the folks you got it from, and see what they have to say. Do that SOON, as most scrap yard warrantys, if there is one at all, aren't very long.....

If there isn't any warranty, drop the pan, see what you find, change fluid and filter, and adjust the bands. Clean out the governor pressure solenoid while you are in there. They like to get clogged up. Check the pressure sensor that's right there as well.

When was the last time the truck had a tuneup? (plugs wires cap rotor...) If you don't know, might be a good time to do it up. Also, check the plenum, common problem on these trucks. Also^2: Get a throttle body gasket from the parts store, (2 bucks or so) disconnect the battery, remove the throttle body, and clean the crap out of it. Pay special attention to the IAC passages. (back of the throttle body.) Clean the IAC valve. While you have it off, take a look at the corners of the plenum. (dental mirror and bright flashlight help here....) See any pooling oil? Time to fix the plenum.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
sweetevil28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks.

I am going to replace the radiator and check out the throtle body and plenum like you said. I'll do the plugs,wires, and cap too. I have a 30 day on that trans but I want to nail all this before sending it back down to the yard.

Thing is that the odd idle came after they replaced the trans. Ran smooth before that. Could the trans have anything to do with it?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Shouldn't. Might just be a dirty throttle body, that the PCM had learned to 'work around'. Disconnecting the battery would cause it to forget that, and have to re-learn everything.

Quick Reply: 5.2 Transmission Problem gone haywire