2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bypass AC clutch '96 1500 with 318

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
pitshackguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass AC clutch '96 1500 with 318

My belt came apart on me monday am going to work. It was old so I thought that was all there was to it. I had noticed a squeak from time to time a few days prior to the belt giving up. I put on a new belt and it came apart on me this morning (7/20) too going to work. No squeaks this time around but have a feeling my a/c clutch is the culprit. The belt routing diagram shows for with and without a/c. My question is if I buy a belt that is for a truck without a/c will it fit right if i route it properly? Autozone calls for an 885K7 in this application

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes you can bypass the AC with the shorter belt. everything else is in the same position.

rotate each pulley by hand to check for anything rough or sticky. if the AC is locking up only when its on, you may not be able to feel that.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I tried a belt off a truck with no ac and it was much too tight , however Napa NAPA Part # 25070901 worked perfectly .

Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
pitshackguy

thanks for the info. I got a 901 belt and a 905 just in case. For me the 901 was too tight and the 905 was just fine. Well it seems just fine but only drove it about 2 miles. I got a good buddy with his own shop he's gonna vac it down for me and help me change the compressor so I'll only be out part and some beer.

I hope this will help some one else down the road.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM
pitshackguy

OK, the new belt came apart too after about 15 miles it was routed without the AC compressor so I guess that isnt my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? When the belt is on I get good voltage from the generator - the power steering works fine - and the engine is staying in normal operating range.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take a good look at the water pump pulley. see if it wobbles, or is tight, or sticky, or feels rough when turning.
when mine went out, the needle bearings went out, and it sort of seized up and went herky jerky for a few minutes. tensioner was jerking, belt was jerking.

check all the pulleys.
check the alignment of the belt, make sure the water pump pulley or PS or ALT hasn't slid forward or backward creating an out of alignment problem.

what's part of the belt is shredding? the edge=alignment.
the center section= something is seizing up and not turning.
are you getting a smell of burning rubber?
any squealing? (it should be making noise if slipping and burning).

if no other ideas, replace the tensioner.... it might just be loose and slipping.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 AM
pitshackguy

It was the water pump. it did wobble and I think the belt was just "walking" off the pulley. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: Bypass AC clutch '96 1500 with 318