2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems

Ok so before changing my fluid which had 2 bottles of the Lucas stops slip in it the truck shifted through all gears fine reverse worked absolutely no complaints but reading on here that no additive should be added I decided to change the fluid. What I found when I took the pan of was about 5 1" pieces of what I assume is the snap ring and a lot of thigh paste shavings on the magnet. I cleaned the pan all out changed the filter put it all back together and now reverse only works when the trans is cold and it kinda shakes a little in overdrive. Is there anything I can do short of a rebuild? I always told myself when the auto went I was doing a manual swap but I didn't plan on it going this soon so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Your not to far from rebuild.
The snap ring is most likely from the ovdrive unit, they are notorius for coming apart.
There are only three things applyed to get reverse, front clutch, rear band, and
direct clucth.
You could try adjusting rear band but not sure it will help at this point.
Have you lost any other gears? Does it shift into third?

Dave

Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 AM
matt72991
Professional

jake is doesnt shake a little.. and its not when it goes into overdrive, its when the torque converter locks up. and when it locks it vibrate like a b***h and slams when it locks. i think thats y its stalling in reverse cause the torque converter locks when in reverse and it doesnt unlock fast enough.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could be a problem. The hard shift to overdrive is the broken snap ring. The tc only locks in 3rd and OD. so something is deffinitely wrong inside.,I would venture to say your losing or lost the sprag bearing also. Better get a rebuild at this point.

Quick Reply: Trans problems