2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual exhaust with x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
FatDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual exhaust with x-pipe

I have a 98 ram that i'm trying to run dual exhaust on. I've ordered the pacesetter ceramic coated long tube headers. my question is. How do u run the exhaust from the headers back? my issue is the fuel tank. it seems to be in the way. how would an x-pipe and 2 cats fit on the passenger side? it would really help if someone has done this setup to let me know what you did. possible pictures.

and yes i've searched high and wide through google and a ton a dodge forums to come up short of answers.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

run both pipes down the passenger side...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 PM
FatDodge

Originally Posted by sk8erdude
run both pipes down the passenger side...
So I would in fact still have a y-pipe thats just not connected? this method just seems like a waste then. (not trying to be rude) I guess it would make more sense then to just run a single pipe? i'm trying to figure out how both cats and mufflers would fit on one side. do u have any pictures or know where to find them?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think there was an exhaust thread at one point..... if you are just looking for better flow, doing a 2.5 or 3 inch single, will flow just as well as 2.25 duals...... stock y pipe is where the main restriction is on these trucks..... simply replacing that with something that flows better would probably make a noticeable difference.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM
FatDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think there was an exhaust thread at one point..... if you are just looking for better flow, doing a 2.5 or 3 inch single, will flow just as well as 2.25 duals...... stock y pipe is where the main restriction is on these trucks..... simply replacing that with something that flows better would probably make a noticeable difference.
Ok so since I have the pacesetter long tubes I should just by the y-pipe by pacesetter too? I already purchased a magnaflow cat for the truck but it has 2 inlets. is there a magnaflow cat that you would recommend with single inlet? I just want to do this right the first time instead of a here and there piece together. I dont want to mess with the o2 sensors and the nice thing about the mag cat was it has the bungs for the o2 sensors.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The stock Y wouldn't work with longtubes in any event, and I think the inlets are going to be too small for what you really want, on the one that you have... Magnaflow makes universal fit cats with various combinations of inlet/outlet sizes. Just pick up a single in/single out the correct size for your pipe ya wanna run, and you should be good to go. I don't know anything about the pacesetter y pipe. make sure it is designed for use with the long tubes though......

Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM
FatDodge

I ended up ordering the pacesetter y-pipe and a 3 inch magnaflow cat. its to confusing trying to figure out how to run dual exhaust.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:43 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i run a y-pipe with my longtubes. unless u have a 2wd u cant do a x pipe with the transfer case in the way

Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long tubes pose a problem.. shorties allow you to retain the crossover pipe and run the pipes parallel just before and after the X... I used a magna flow true x muffler to equalize the banks.. so far, so good.

Last edited by drewactual; 07-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust with x-pipe