2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird turn signal issue-please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird turn signal issue-please help

1994 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l
Okay so today i was cleaning my truck and i wanted to listen to the radio while cleaning but the buzzer stays on, i looked on the fuse box to see which fuse was for the buzzer and i pulled it and nothing happened so i put it right back in (it was for the initial buzzer when you turn the key on, not the door open buzzer). And i also pulled the big round fuse, i cant remember the exact name on it but it was a something with the signals thinking it was the buzzer and tht did nothing so i put it right back in.

Later on today i went somewhere and while i was driving my truck i noticed that when i put my turn signals on while my lights were on they would flash very slowly, so i stopped and checked for one that was blown, and they all worked, then i noticed when i got back in the truck that when i got on the brake and the turn signal was on, it would have the turn signal indicator lighted but it wouldnt blink, and the blinkers weren't on either, the indicator was just lighted.

Then when i went to leave where i was i noticed that i couldn't see a thing to back up, so i got out and checked and my backup lights were out, and it just looks like my tail lights are really dim. Well when i got home i started seeing what all would act up.

Heres what i found,
-when my lights are off and no brake is applied all my turn signals work as they should, but when i apply the brake(either parking or regular brake) the flashing slows down and it blinks all of the lights in the rear of the truck, it will flash the light of the turn signal you want, but then it flashes the other side, and the license plate light dims and the rear cab light flashes.
-when my lights are on, and i put on a turn signal, it will be slower than normal, and it will flash all of the lights like above, but when i apply the brake it will just freeze the flashers, and they wont do anything until i let off the brake
-and i can't get my back up lights to work so it may just be as simple as that but i dont think that they would make everything go wacky like it is.

Sorry about the length of this, i just wanna provide everything i could, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Tweav

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
SilverSS
Captain

The big round thing is the flasher for the turn signals. When it goes bad the turn signals don't work properly. Make sure you put it back in properly and if it still doesn't work maybe try a new one. If everything worked properly before start by rechecking fuses and connections

Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
heyblue46

yep, yep, what silverss said. seat that sucker better and see if it dont work. If that dont work you can check your bulbs, but i would try new fuse. (the big round one)

Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by heyblue46
yep, yep, what silverss said. seat that sucker better and see if it dont work. If that dont work you can check your bulbs, but i would try new fuse. (the big round one)
Yea well all the fuses are good and the signal fuse is fine(big round one) and the bulbs in the back are fine, i dont know much about the wiring but my dad and buddy know a good bit about it and the only thing they can think might be wrong is the turn signal switch, so our buddy is gonna call a mechanic that has helped him with lighting on another truck before and see what he says, hopefully its just the switch and it wont be to hard to change

Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

It sounds to me like a short, whether it be in the lighting harness or right at the fuse block. Hope you get it figured out. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramzy
It sounds to me like a short, whether it be in the lighting harness or right at the fuse block. Hope you get it figured out. Let us know what it turns out to be.
Yea we checked all the wires running back and cant find anything, im ordering a turn signal switch today and hopefully that will fix it.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

The turn signal relay (big round one) is a thermal relay, if its put in backwards and the circuit is closed it can backfeed and fry the switch. So it sounds like you are on the right path there!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by beefythedodge
The turn signal relay (big round one) is a thermal relay, if its put in backwards and the circuit is closed it can backfeed and fry the switch. So it sounds like you are on the right path there!
The big round one only goes in one way.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
StuCody

Looking at a wiring diagram would help a lot in determining what is common to the brake lights and the turn signals/backup lights/ taillights.

I think loss of a ground would possibly cause this problem. The flasher rate is determined by the amount of current flow through all the lamps (that are switched into the circuit) and the wiring out (+12V) and back, flowing to ground (-12V)

However, I have not seen a wiring diagram, I am only going on what I know of the OLD, OLD cars. ('60s) I've not had to fool with problems like this since the '70s....

Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a shorty to ground. suggest unhooking the trailor harnuss and see if that solves it. lots of time there will be rips or cuts in the wiring and cause it. that what happened with my and it had the same symptoms

Quick Reply: Weird turn signal issue-please help