2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird turn signal issue-please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
you have a shorty to ground. suggest unhooking the trailor harnuss and see if that solves it. lots of time there will be rips or cuts in the wiring and cause it. that what happened with my and it had the same symptoms
yea thats what we thought but we checked all the ground connections and none of them were loose or disconected, and the only other thing we can think of is that the turn signal switch went bad, thats what we think and a buddy of ours that is a mechanic, well hopefully it fixes it because i dont want to have wasted 120 bucks

Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 AM
SilverSS
Captain

If everything was working fine before there's a 90% chance it was something that you changed- not a totally new problem. Did you try a new flasher?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 AM
stangs13
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverSS
If everything was working fine before there's a 90% chance it was something that you changed- not a totally new problem. Did you try a new flasher?
I too would try a new flasher. I was having similar issues, and I put in a new flasher and it fixed all my problems.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
tweav88
Professional
Default UPDATE: Light issue fixed

Well i got my turn signal switch today and put that one on, and it didnt fix anything, so if anyone wants to buy a turn signal switch for a 94-whenever they changed the interior ill sell it for 90 bucks(the dealer wants 130+tax).

So we went back to our original thought of a ground issue, and all the connections we could see were good so we took the rear wiring harness off since thats where we would see the problems, and we started looking for a cut wire. Well we tested the ground wire from the front plug to the rear lights and bingo, there was no connection, so we looked for a bad connector at one of the out-going wires and we found that the connector grounding the fuel pump was corroded and broke, and that it had arched and burnt the wires around it, it didnt melt them but it blackened them, its a wonder the truck ran since the fuel pump wasnt grounded at all, so we cut off the brittle part of the wire since it was corroded and burnt and put a new peice in with connectors and put a new connector to the fuel pump and all my issues went away! after an unneccesary 130 bucks, so hopefully if anyone is having issues with the rear lights like i was you dont spend 130 bucks on a switch you dont need, its just a bad ground connection and one of the splices is probably bad.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
StuCody

Short circuits will often blow fuses, or worse, destroy wiring.
Open supply wiring will disable your expected functions.
Open grounds (as in this case) will yield mysterious results or dim lighting on several bulbs at once. Depending.

I'm running down several electrical problems currently, not high priorities:
1) My 2005 Caravan: driver's window stuck in the raised position. No sign of motor action, but a slight dimming of headlights in "acc" --engine not running. I am guessing this is brush failure, and that the motor field is still getting power.
2) Same Caravan: sliding door lock inoperative. I'm guessing wiring path has a corroded connector.
3) 2002 Ram 2500 Van: No heater blower at all. This prevents A/C and in this weather, it's hellish. This van recently bought and the subject of other posts. I'm hoping the 2003 RAM service manual will help in the troubleshooting and have printed pages from it, obtained here. I have not reached an understanding with the HVAC system yet in general, but am reading up. "Blend Door" needs to be understood. I'm not looking for shots in the dark work, as there are other fish to fry. This is way off topic.

Quick Reply: Weird turn signal issue-please help