2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clutch slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 06:34 PM
silver_01_ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slippage?

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.2 L 318 CID 5-speed manual trans. At about 40,000 miles I was experiencing what felt like clutch slippage. At low RPMs, in 1st or 2nd gear, if I got on it, the clutch would slip, especially pulling a load like a boat. I could feel it in the seat as well as the stick. I went to Dodge, they said it was the clutch and offered to replace it for $1,100. I took it home and purchased a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and piloy bearing and did it myself. I had the flywheel turned and installed the new components. By the way, the flywheel was in perfect condition, but I had it turned anyway. I took some micrometers and measured the thickness of the new and old pressure plates. The one I took out of the truck was .005" thicker than the one I was installing. Basically, the existing clutch looked new. I took the pressure plates to a local spring manufacturer. They measured the spring rates and the old clutch was only about 80 lbs weaker than the new one. less than a 10% difference. So, I went on ahead and replaced all of the compoents since I already had the tranny down. That night it worked just fine, but the next morning it slipped again. Since then, it has been getting progressively worse, and has started to shudder real bad when taking off in 1st gear. I now have 57,000 miles on it. In the morning it shudders the worst, until it gets up to operating temperature. Then it begins to slip if you catch it just right at a low RPM. Also, I do not have to let out on the clutch to get it to slip. I can simply pull up to a light, get it into in 1st gear, from a rolling stop and mash on the gas and get the clutch to slip. It seems that I have proven it is not the clutch, since the old one looked good, and the new one slips. Could the slave cylinder be bad? Maybe it is pushing on the cluth, not allowing full force.
Could it be that it has nothing to do with the clutch. Have any of you ever heard of the differential slipping that may cause that chatter in the morning, but slip as the truck gets warm. It doesn't matter if it winter or summer, but then again in Texas, there's not much of a winter.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clutch slippage?

wow that sucks. all that work and it still doesnt work. let us know if you find out what it could be. sorry i cant help you.

Quick Reply: clutch slippage?