2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need someone to see if my tranny thinking is right

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM
banwhalen
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need someone to see if my tranny thinking is right

I thought the reason the 99% of all the transmissions put in the Rams failed due to the overdrive system. The morons at mopar have the 4th gear kick in at 28 mph. Which is utterly ridiculous. I almost never use my overdrive unless on the highway. I never carry a load w/overdrive on, tow or go in hilly areas w/overdrive on. So my thinking is that I should continue to have a trouble free tranny as long as I keep the fluid/maintenance done. Isn't it basically the same transmission that's in my Charger, 727 w/a 4th gear? My Charger is 32 years old and never a transmission problem.

So am I correct in my thinking that the less you use o/d the less problems wil result.

Plus 4th gear sucks for power.

any input welcome.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:21 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need someone to see if my tranny thinking is right

Keep the O/D off and do your routine maint and your tranny will be fine. It's not specifically the O/D that's the problem, it's heat and shifting in/out a lot that kills them.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Se7eN

also not leting the trani rest before shifting from reverse to drive and visa versa. like on plow trucks. they never wait and im alway working on them.
Se7eN

Old 07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Keep the O/D off and do your routine maint and your tranny will be fine. It's not specifically the O/D that's the problem, it's heat and shifting in/out a lot that kills them.
yea, i would just keep it off. I wouldnt use it at all unless your driving to some place far

Old 07-16-2005, 11:38 PM
horatio102
Champion

I'm not sure why the default is to be on. I guess it's for fuel economy and designed obsolecense or whatever it's called - they figure it'll last 4-5 years and die, and you'll buy a new one instead of spending the money to fix the old one.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:13 PM
banwhalen
Rookie

thanks everyone for the input,

much appreciated.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Keep an eye on the tranny temp there have been issues with the check valve. Will burn up a trans quick.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
V10
Professional

I'm not sure why the default is to be on. I guess it's for fuel economy
I agree, the default should be off. I got in the habit of turning the OD off years ago as soon as I started my engine in my old W250 and using it only at 55+ and running empty. Also do use the ATF +3 or +4, whichever is specified for your 518, 618, 46, 47 etc., even though it can be expensive and hard to find, never use Dexron as a substitute.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I'm not sure what you mean by 4th gear kicking in at 28mph. I can hit 55 in first gear with my truck. Overdrive (or lock-up) doesn't usually kick in until I let my foot off the gas.

There are two reasons the transmissions are problematic, and neither of them is the fact that they have overdrive. Overdrive is a very good thing. For one thing, it helps increase your gas milage. It's there for highway cruising...not towing or hauling. That's why you have a button on the dash. The first problem these transmissions have is the weak *** torque converter that they use. It's just plain junk, esepcially if you have a V10/Diesel (it's fairly easy to grenade one). The second problem with the transmissions is the fluid circulation for the overdrive unit. It's VERY POOR. When they designed the transmissions for the GEN II rams (97-02) they basically took the 727 and expanded the case slightly for the OD unit. But they didn't do anything to improve the fluild flow to the unit. As a result, when your tranny temps get high (plowing, towing, hot weather, bad fluid, clogged filter, etc) OD is the first thing to fry.

The best solution to the problem, is to get a tranny temp. gauge and monitor the temps. Also, change your fluid and filter regularly. An aux. cooler or an extra capacity tranny pan (mopar perf. sells one) would also help. The best solution (for diesel & v10 owners anyway) is to get a transmission from suncoast converters or DTT (Diesel Truck Transmission). They have an improved case that allows more fluid to reach the unit. Suncoast may have a transmission for smaller gassers as well, but I'm almost positive DTT doesn't.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional

In response to your final question; No, it's not like your 727, even the 727-A model. It is a modern version of the 904, which has been around forever.

I leave mine in OD all the time, even while trailering. If you go extremely easy on it, it will shift into OD very early, around 30 mph or so, but if you don't, you won't hit OD until about 55 or 60. My tranny can go to about 60 in first gear, 85 in second, and 135 in third, it depends on how much of your foot you put in it. Unless you absolutely punch it and never let off, you will never experience that unless you select your gear manualy.

My truck has over 250,000 on it, and the first 212,000 were made on the orginal transmission fluid, filter, and fluid (Thanks to the previous owner, what a moron... Haha.), no problems yet, still shifts like new, and doesn't leak or run hot.

Quick Reply: Need someone to see if my tranny thinking is right