2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

final exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
chadwall
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default final exhaust question

Ok guys, this should be my final exhaust question...

Stock 99 ram, 5.2.

If I hollow the cat and do the non fouler trick. I'll pass the inspections cuz it will look like cat is there, but when they hook to the odb will it pass emissions?

I know it'll trick truck to run right. But emissions is the questions.

Thanks,

Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

As long as you have no check engine light and your PCM reports as ready to test you will be fine. That is unless they shove the wand up the pipe. Although, some people have passed that as well. It all depends on where you are and the testing there.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
chadwall
Professional

Ya, no wand test. Just the plug to odb. Would it be better on engine to have gutted cat or high flow cat?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Without going into alot of detail. It wont hurt the engine at all to have no cat. The cat is there to clean up the exhaust. The non-fouler trick should keep the light off. I actually didn't have to do the non-fouler trick when I gutted mine. The light never came on.

EDIT: The most restrictive spot in our exhaust is the Y leading into our cat. So performance wise a high-flow cat and an offroad Y pipe will yield you the best results performance wise. I am glad we have no emissions testing here in Arkansas.

Last edited by Ramzy; 07-27-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
chadwall
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramzy
Without going into alot of detail. It wont hurt the engine at all to have no cat. The cat is there to clean up the exhaust. The non-fouler trick should keep the light off. I actually didn't have to do the non-fouler trick when I gutted mine. The light never came on.

EDIT: The most restrictive spot in our exhaust is the Y leading into our cat. So performance wise a high-flow cat and an offroad Y pipe will yield you the best results performance wise. I am glad we have no emissions testing here in Arkansas.
Ok, so the magnaflow high flow cat and y pipe would be better than a gutted one performance wise? Truck is completely stock, just trying to make it easier for it to breath when towing the toys.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Correct. And the off-road y-pipe would be even better. Not that you would really notice the difference between the two on a basically stock engine.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
chadwall
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Correct. And the off-road y-pipe would be even better. Not that you would really notice the difference between the two on a basically stock engine.
Great. I'll get the cat... Thanks!

Quick Reply: final exhaust question