2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd 5.9L hard to start in the morning........

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

How many miles on your plugs? Have you checked your plenum yet? (see the stickied thread at the top of this forum for loads of info about that, including how to check it.)

The blue puff at first startup is probably from oil getting past the valve seals when the engine sits after driving. (so, you notice it in the morning, or, after the truck has sat for a buncha hours.) Fairly normal for an older truck. (or car...) Valve seals are easy to change, just time consuming. (there's 16 of em.....)

The 'choke' on your truck is controlled by the engine coolant temp sensor. Depending on the year of the truck, there is either one, or two.... the one the PCM pays attention to is the important one. (if you have two, the other one is just for the gauge in the dash. One right from the department of redundancy department.) If the important one is lying...... it gives you funny behavior. If it is telling the PCM that it is REALLY cold out.... the PCM will DUMP gas into the cylinders trying to get a mixture that will burn.... stepping the pedal to the floor while cranking puts the PCM into "clear flood" mode, and it dramatically cuts back on the gas being added.....

For another experiment, when you first go out to start the truck in the morning, stomp the pedal all the way to the floor right away, and crank the engine. See if it fires right up.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM
DudeLebowski714
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the plugs may have a few thousand miles on them. the blue smoke is a new condition, as it never puffed blue smoke when starting.

as for putting my foot to the floor, i do that now, and it is usually how it starts. still takes it awhile, and it does sorta act like it will catch, then not, then finally ill say "cmon b!tch start" and it starts........

am i giving you any help???? im tryin to be specific as possible.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull a couple plugs from the BACK of the motor, and see what they look like. (I am suspecting oil fouled.....)

Do you have a scanner that you could use? Or, some way to read data in the morning when the truck is stone cold?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
DudeLebowski714

no scanner........ i will pull a plug or 2 from the back, if i can find my spark plug socket..... could the seals go bad from slight over heating??? when i had the hole in my radiator, the truck got up to 260 before i could find a safe place to shut it off.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

They get old, dry out, get brittle, and then just take up space, but, don't do the 'seal' thing very well. Consider, it gets HOT in there.....

Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
DudeLebowski714

yeh, just find the timing of them weird.......... now the valve seals wanna go??? i usually dont go to bed til midnight or so, and im gonna crank my truck before i go to bed, maybe drive the block...... see if that helps it start in the morning.........

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd 5.9L hard to start in the morning........