2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump troubles... need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 AM
zOOkStEr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump troubles... need advice please

My fuel pump on my 99 Ram stopped working the other day. They want $220 for a new pump. I have two questions....
Is there a way to test my existing pump? I have the tank out, but have not pulled the pump out.
Also, I put my tester on the plug to the pump, and it's only reading 5 volts ( with the key turned forward, to prime the pump ). Is this the normal voltage when starting the truck, or is it supposed to be 12 volts?

Thanks in advance.. love this site btw

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Cant help ya there although I do know these fuel pumps are notorious for going out. I just got a new delphi pump on ebay for 185. Save ya a couple bucks and a new fuel pump + sending unit never hurts as one or the other seem to go out every 50k :P My sending unit went out at 75k and my fuel pump is still going at 200k (original pump) guess i got lucky, but im still replacing to get my gauge back. You can try some fuel system cleaner to see if a chunk or some crap is stuck, also if you get in there and the filter is HORRIBLE you could replace and try it out. Is emptying, dropping, cleaning, putting back up and having a problem worth just replacing it? imho yes, but some others have lifts and such :P

Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 PM
zOOkStEr

Basically I just need to know if the 5 volts reading is normal or not? If it's supposed to be 12 volts, then I have another problem I have to find.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Fuel pump should get 12 volts. Check fuses, and try swapping the FP relay, with the horn relay.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 AM
zOOkStEr

Thanks for responding. I swapped out the relays, and same problem exist. Could this be a grounding issue? I've been all under the hood with my tester, and finding missing grounds in a couple of areas. Where I cannot get a reading at all, but if I jump the hot off of the battery, and to the sensors.. it will read. But, if I jump off the ground side... nothing.
Here's an example... the main relay box under the hood... it has a hot, and a ground coming into it. If I test both posts, I get nothing. If I put my tester on the ground on the battery post, then to the hot wire on the relay.. reads 12 Volts. If I switch them, and jump from the battery hot, to the relay ground post... nothing. This is done with the key off, and in the on position.. same readings.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump troubles... need advice please