2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

more engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default more engine questions

hey guys. i found yet another 360 thats a bit closer than 100mi away.it has 167k on it, guy says it has a blown head gasket, and also says that a cam bearing or lifter may be bad as its causing a chatter over 2800 rpms but never got worse.

motor is from a 96 so i know that the intake manifolds are different, but not a problem.

other motor that i was more interested in but farther away has 205k on it, but runs good and was just pulled, and is from a 99.

which motor would you go with?

either way its getting torn down and new heads, cam, and intake manifold are getting put on.

all input is appreciated. thanks!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

nobody has any input?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I would go after the one further away..... fewer beginning problems. You don't know what else that blown head gasket may have taken with it, might need to replace other expensive parts as well. The mileage difference really isn't that much..... and with the newer one..... the intake manifold will be the same as what you ahve now, so, if ya wanna do the kegger mod... there ya go.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 PM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they cost the same go with the one closer, if not then go with the one that needs less work, that's what I would be anyway. If the one runs good why rebuild it?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would go after the one further away..... fewer beginning problems. You don't know what else that blown head gasket may have taken with it, might need to replace other expensive parts as well. The mileage difference really isn't that much..... and with the newer one..... the intake manifold will be the same as what you ahve now, so, if ya wanna do the kegger mod... there ya go.
Originally Posted by JackJ
If they cost the same go with the one closer, if not then go with the one that needs less work, that's what I would be anyway. If the one runs good why rebuild it?

heyyou, good point. its literally a 50 mile difference, so thats why im asking. but ill probly go with the one further away.

jackl the point of rebuilding is i dont know how the previous owner treated it, and i want it to last. going to go with a cam, hughes airgap, and eq heads from clearwater. other than that, i found a complete 5 speed swap on my local craigslist for 600, so the power loss, and weak transmission problems are solved.

i guess ill just go with the one thats further away, no sense in getting someone elses headache.

thanks!

Quick Reply: more engine questions