2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM
jubuttie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

ok i have a 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. the P R N D doesnt read in the cluster and the shifter is as best as i can explain it lose u have to count the clicks to get to drive but the clicks are barely there lol. Anyone know the fix for this????

Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the linkage that goes back to the transmission. It's a sluggish bar that runs down near the drivers exhaust manifold and connects to the top of the trans above the pan on the driver's side.

Check and see how firm three linkage is on the trans first. Then around the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, the linkage has some adjustability. If it's lose, firm it up.

Inside the cab, under the drivers legs, remove that cover panel. I think #25 torx screws hold it on.
near the steering wheel theres a little black plastic box with a white star wheel and some linkage cakes coming out of either end. Move that wheel until the little orange indicator on the dash centers with the P for park. Then shift thru the gears and make sure it lines up with the others.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM
jubuttie

the orange park pin never moves at all so alls i have to do is turn the lil wheel and itll move???

Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

there is a cable, or some sort of linkage there, it may have broken. Have a look, see what you find.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
jubuttie

ok took of the panel and saw the lil box and a cable with a boxed end was off the rod put that back on and it shows what gear im in now thank you for that. looked under the truck saw a linkage comming down then over to the top of the trans. but i dont see and adjustment to the linkage and were it hooks up to on the trans theres play up and down play is that normal???

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There are bushings in the linkage that wear, and..... fall out.... over time. So, not really a big surprise. The PRNDL is adjusted under the column though.