2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new pcm is to much

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM
mackiereese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pcm is to much

i just recently bought a 99 ram 1500, it needs a pcm, that is what the local dodge dealer diagnosed. I live in southaven ms, my truck would not start kept getting a no bus light in the odemeter area.had it towed to the dealer and they have it now it has been 5 days. They called me and said I need a pcm and the total cost will be $985.40. They are charging over $600 for pcm,$119 for the diag and the rest in labor. Seems like a whole lot of cash, could a experienced mechanic or tech give a me some advice. I am new to this site and not a mechanic. I have not given them the go ahead yet. Please help.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

See if you can find one from a JY. Get one from a truck that has as close to the same options as yours.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That or just buy the PCM and install it yourself.

Or do they have to be flashed with the truck?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
greenmachine
All Star

I know there is a site that sells PCM's for 250 I will try to find the site again. My 01 had to be flashed by the dealer to get all the correct options (gear ratios, engine, etc) inputed to it. Plus if they flash in an incorrect VIN it becomes a paper weight and they would have to replace.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not sure if they still have them in stock but have a look at these. I know it's the performance pcm but its still cheaper than the dealer.

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_p...m_ignition.htm

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
whatman27
Rookie

i would take take zmans route. go to the local junkyard and pull one out. there youll see that its just 4 bolts to switch out our PCM and itll cost about 50 bucks instead of the 950.00 lol

Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I live just outside of Memphis and there is a all Chrysler junkyard in Memphis called mr complete. I can pretty easily find parts so if you need any help pm me and I'll get in touch with you.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there were ones on eBay for like $250-300 last time I looked and you gave them your VIN and they would flash it for you. Worst case if you could find one for that price and it had to have it flashed you should be able to get it done for the cost of 1 hour labor at max.

If you get a used one it needs to be from a same year vehicle with the same options.

$600 imo is way way too much. Worst case I'd get a used one and have it flashed to my VIN, but I'd look for those on eBay where they flash them for you.

They are super easy to install, so any labor they are charging you on that they are flat out ripping you off. It's literally 3 screws that hold it to the firewall and 3 plugs that unclip. You unclip the 3 plugs, and take out the 3 screws, and put then screw the new one in and clip the plugs back in. Literally it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and that includes getting your tools ready. I looks like they are charging you about $266.40 in labor from your quote, and if so, that's them taking you for a ride.

The parts, I'm not sure what they would cost from a dealer so I'm not sure how $600 is, but the labor is a rip off and so is the diagnostics fee. I'd go get my truck, pay the diagnostics fee if I had to as a lesson to never go back there, and either fix it yourself, or take it elsewhere.

You can also look up Dodge OEM parts online at various sites to make sure they aren't completely ripping you off on the parts. Ask them what parts they would be replacing for that $600 and ask for the part #'s then look them up online. I wouldn't expect to get them as cheap from them as many online sites sell them for, but make sure you don't pay over Dodges retail price for them. Many dealers I've dealt with take that retail price and mark it up another 10-20% or so and that's what they ask for them.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 08-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 PM
mackiereese

thanks for all the good advice, I am definitely going to try ebay or junk yard. Will keep u updated on how it goes.