2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Retired Mechanic needs advice 99 2500

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:48 AM
rpeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retired Mechanic needs advice 99 2500

Hey all, I am posting this thread to try to get some advice for my father with the recent problems he is having with a 99 Dodge Ram 2500. He is not so computer savy, so i am taking over from here. He is a retired USAF mechanic, and has the skills and tools to do repairs, but he is having problems with the trouble shooting aspect; here is what he sent me:

I am having some problems with my 1999 Dodge 2500, 360,(5.9) Automatic,4x4,long bed 78K original miles. Headers ,dual exhaust, Jet, K&N Air snorkel. If anyone can help.
I drove to Redding Cal. about 600 miles with my motorcycle in the back. Truck had a miss fire on the way there, no codes set.
Drove fine while in the 106 weather. 200 miles into the return trip my truck started missing. Less engine power off and on,took out of over drive to keep highway speeds. Stayed in Bakersfield Cal. 106-108 (HOT). By now with full throttle it would hardly move. Engine codes being set. Next A.M. ran fine for the first couple hours. Then 27 miles from home it lost power on I-5 truck would not run over an Idle. Tow truck time
Checked static fuel pressure,with gauge, good. Cleared codes hasnt run since. Codes PO305,PO306,PO300. (Missfire). Plugs fuel soaked not firing , replaced,wires,cap,plugs. Coil fires, had lots of guess from friends. Fuel pump, cat. coil. Need a good educated guess. Thank You

I just want to add that the ruck itself never showed signs of overheating, he said it never got over halfway on the temp gauge.

Thanks All,

-Robert

Old 07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
4DrMopar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retired Mechanic needs advice 99 2500

I am gonna have to say its a spark issue, due to wet plugs.... a bad fuel pump, wont do that.... it sounds to be a heat soak issue, the hotter it gets for longer,the worse the issue.... they arent that expensive, so replace the coil, they DO go bad, though not often...heat makes it worse faster.... if ya lived in cold weather,might never notice it...
call Summit racing up and ask for a hi performance coil thats a direct plug in...

Quick Reply: Retired Mechanic needs advice 99 2500