2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First truck...what should I look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Avid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First truck...what should I look for

Well, I've reached the point where I need to ditch my Jeep for a truck.

I'd like to spend maybe $7-10k and get something decent. It will be a daily driver for a while, until I can afford a car - then it'll be winter/truck duty.

I have a feeling I'm looking around a 97-98. I know they changed the interior a bit in 98. Here's the options I'm looking for...

Standard Cab
Long bed prefered
318 or 360 (preferences, problems, etc?)
Stick or Auto (Is it the 46re? Problems)?

What do you guys recommend? Anything to look out for?
What do you consider high/problematic mileage?

Now I'm a newbie all over again. Thanks guys

Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 AM
moparman81777
Professional
Default RE: First truck...what should I look for

Well the choices are pretty simple you can have a dakota with a v6 for fuel mileage since it will be a daily driver or if you need something bigger the 1500 is nice but for some reason I never had good mileage with a 318 did better with a 360 just make sure the tranny is strong they seem to go fairly easy when people dont know how to use the OD button hope this helps

Old 07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Avid

ORIGINAL: moparman81777

Well the choices are pretty simple you can have a dakota with a v6 for fuel mileage since it will be a daily driver or if you need something bigger the 1500 is nice but for some reason I never had good mileage with a 318 did better with a 360 just make sure the tranny is strong they seem to go fairly easy when people dont know how to use the OD button hope this helps
Moparman - thanks for the reply and the pm.

Gas milage isn't all that important, but it does help. I get between 12/15 mpg now with the 4.7L in the Jeep.

I am remodeling my house, basically from scratch, so I need something that will haul the construction materials I need. I'd like to be able to haul 4x8 plywood or drywall without having to angle it between the wheel wells. Mulch/dirt/waste, etc. I'm not sure the bed size of a dakota?

After I get the car, it will still do construction duty (I'm probably going to get into this full time) and winter duty. So that's why gas milage isn't all that important. I didn't expect it to be great with a full sized truck.

Brian

Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
moparman81777
Professional

well if you can get a hold of a ram 1500 with a stick I think you will be happy I have owned 3 rams 94,95,96 this was last yr I cant complain I haul cars with it and i use it to haul just about anything good luck in getting what you need hope you get a good one

Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

Heres the bigest thing.. Get the manual trans. Ran into a guy on base who has 50k on a 2000 ram 2wd and hes on the 2nd automatic trans. He swears up and down everything is rock solid but the trans. I paid 9700 USD for my 2000 which was more than I wanted to pay but the guy had all the maint records and the bills showed he went to the dealership for everything. I also dont like going to the dealership to buy a used truck. I like to go to the last owners house and get a feel for what type of guy this is. I know it sounds weird but If you were to look in my garage youd see airtools and things neatly lined on shelves. Tons of tools ect. To my eye seeing someone who owns tools and looks like he has a clue.... Well this makes me feel better and when the guy says something I'm more apt to trust him. If you go there and you see nothing but crispy cream boxs and beer cans move on. He could have taken it to the dealership or local garage. Ask to see the maint records or receits.

The above is subject to common sence but 99% of everyone I know in the military fits this rule.... No tools in the garage and no maint records or bills = trouble..

There are so many Rams out there dont be afraid to pass a few by if you dont know how they were maintained.

Goodluck and post some pictures of what you buy..

Cheers

Quick Reply: First truck...what should I look for