2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling at low speed.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
kjkrsch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling at low speed.....

Hello!
I am looking for a little help.

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the diesel and 4X4, tranny was rebuilt by the previous owner at 140K miles, it has a 160K on it now. Was a farm truck, so there as been some rigging done under the hood. It has had a problem with stalling for a bit, first time I noticed it was after a long drive on the highway when I stopped at a light in town, it sounded like it choked out and died. to get home I had to put it in neutral when not moving. Recently this problem has become more pronounced, especially in revers.

The brake have been acting up as well, getting soft while sitting at a light and extremely hard if you pump them and then the ABS light will come on and then go away.

It seems that using the brake while idling in reverse almost always stalls the truck. This makes me suspect there may be a connection. (I know correlation does not mean causation).

I was considering putting a new brake master cylinder on it to see if it would help one or both of the problems, but figured I would try here first for any thoughts before beginning the project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Josh

Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Master cylinder isn't going to affect your stalling. Your truck has hydraboost, does it not? (power assist for the brakes comes from the power steering pump.)

Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There might be a pinhole in one of the steel brake lines. As far as the stalling goes, I'd post your thread in the oil burner section for a better answer on that issue.

Quick Reply: Stalling at low speed.....