2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 08:31 PM
smithc8551
|
Default Ram trouble starting

Hey guys, first time poster here and unfourtanatley it is due to a problem. Im driving a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2L. The problem arises when I try to start the truck shortly after it was already running. Say I drive to the store or shut it off for any reason for a short period of time, restarting it causes a problem. At first, I thought maybe the battery because when the problem happens, the engine turns over very slow, but I think I ruled that out because it will start and stay running as long as I am on the gas, but shut off when I get off the gas. Could it be an air issue? I did recently clean the throttle body and IAC valve and took off the throttle body position sensor, so could it be one of those? I am able to get going when this problem happens because I will give it a little gas to keep rpms around 700 and shift into drive and it stays running, but for the first few minutes, the rpms drop quickly down to 300ish when I let off the gas. Sorry for the long reading, but I figured it may help pin point this issue. Thanks!!

Old 08-23-2011 | 02:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Welcome to DF.

First, before anything else, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html

I will move you to the 2nd Gen Ram section (1994-2001 Rams).

The usual two possible fixes for a problem like that are either bad TPS (throttle position sensor) or that IAC you cleaned. Sometimes cleaning them just doesn't help, and they need replace.

Old 08-23-2011 | 06:15 AM
Josheis
Professional

Same as he said I would check those two sensors, but Iv'e also had two jeep cherokee's that the battery died and the ecu didn't learn how to idle right after we jump started them and I had to disconnect the battery to reset it again and take it out and drive it and it started idling normal. It had the same issues you describe and I figured I'd try that first and it worked on both, just a thought.

Old 08-23-2011 | 11:50 PM
smithc8551
|

Thanks for the ideas guys. Will look inot it soon!

Quick Reply: Ram trouble starting