2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 ram 360 wont idle after hs rocker install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
jelrod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ram 360 wont idle after hs rocker install

Hello all,

I've been doing some mods to my 95 ram 360 and have run into a problem and im stumped. Been doing them in stages and checking it out along the way.

1st mod- Removed throttle body and cut off air silencers and reinstalled. ran fine

2nd- Installed jet performance piggyback stage2. ran fine

3rd- Installed 1.7 hs roller rockers and k&n cai. Now hard to start and will not idle. Not drivable. reset pcm. After running flashes code 34. I have to give it gas to crank and have to keep rpms over 2000 to keep it running. If I let off it shuts off. I ran it above 2000 for 20 minutes or so to see if the pcm would relearn anything. It smoothes out above 2000 and sounds good. I only removed one plug wire while installing the rockers and it is back firmly in place and have checked the others.

I have checked the vacuum lines 40 times it seems and everything looks right and is pugged in. Thought maybe IAC, so I replaced it. I rattled around the egr control solenoid (think its called) getting the valve cover off, so wondering if that may be it? There is a green wire or hose with an end on it that has MCP or MPC on it on the driver side at the back of the valve cover that I am unsure what it is. It has a black bell shaped end with a single hole in the end of it that really does not look like it should plug into anything and I cant find anywhere to plug in. Anyone know what that is? I am out of ideas right now and hoping for some help.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you see it in this pic? most of the vac lines are on the pass side.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Remove the Jet chip and try it. And the green vac line is a vent. What you see is normal and it does not connect to anything.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
jelrod

Just tried removing the jet module and it acts the same. Very rough trying to idle and shuts off. Seems to crank easier the first time after it has sat, but running at higher rpm for a few minutes changes that. Next time trying to crank it has to spin over alot to get it to crank. Acting almost like its flooding out. Going to pull the throttle body back off and clean it next and try that. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you reconnect the ground straps you took off when you removed the valve covers?

Check and make sure you didn't knock a plug wire loose, our get them crossed on the wrong cylinder if you removed any of them.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, make sure you didn't break or disconnect the IAT, or ECT sensors.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 PM
jelrod

Checked all cylinders for compression and found one didnt have any Pulled the cover and found the pushrod was not in position on one rocker. Put it back together and runs fine now. How I didnt catch this I have no idea. Just lucky I avoided disaster. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow lucky on that happy ya for it fixed

Quick Reply: 95 ram 360 wont idle after hs rocker install