2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front brake caliper piston wont go back!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

But, everyone knows that 'dead horse kicking' is the international internet passtime. C'mon Vdub, get with the program.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM
corns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge brake

So I was going down the road when my front passenger side caliper blew it's about time that thing was as old as the truck whis is a 2000 model but I put a new one on it and bleed the brakes when on of the piston locked up and wouldn't retract. And the rubber seal around the piston kept blowing off. I had warranty on so traded it right back in for another one. Well put it on bleed the brakes work fine for about a mile both piston in the caliper retracted all the way in then locked not won't push it it just popsthe rubber seal off and I don't know what is goi g on at this point if someone could help Me I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corns
So I was going down the road when my front passenger side caliper blew it's about time that thing was as old as the truck whis is a 2000 model but I put a new one on it and bleed the brakes when on of the piston locked up and wouldn't retract. And the rubber seal around the piston kept blowing off. I had warranty on so traded it right back in for another one. Well put it on bleed the brakes work fine for about a mile both piston in the caliper retracted all the way in then locked not won't push it it just popsthe rubber seal off and I don't know what is goi g on at this point if someone could help Me I'd appreciate it.

It's not the caliper, it's the flexible brake line is probably swollen from the inside.

Also, FWIW my 1997 Ram went 220,000 on the original calipers before the truck was totaled, so age has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Verushka
Default Caliper bracket wont slide all the way back after changing Brake Pads

Hi,

I changed the front brake pads for a 94 Dodge Ram 2 wheel drive. I cant get the caliper bracket to slide all the way back. There's about 1.25" that's its not sliding all the way back. If I take the brake pads off completely I can get the caliper bracket to slide all the way back. I was able to tighten the two caliper bolts. Is this normal? My first brake job.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to compress the piston back into the caliper. The bracket shouldn't move at all.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Verushka
Default Caliper Bracket wont slide back

Hi,

I used either a 8" or 10" C clamp to push the piston back. There is about 1/8" of metal showing that I couldn't get it to go back. I almost got the C clamp stuck because I had it so tight. But there is about 1.25" of where the caliper bracket is not sliding back. I was able to tighten the two caliper bolts. I'm not sure if this is right? I didn't take a picture of what it looked like before I disassembled it.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am seriously confused.... on mine, the caliper bracket doesn't move at all.... but then, mines a 2500..... can you post a pic of your problem?

I think.... but, can't recall 100%, that the caliper bolts go thru sliding sleeves, do they not? Need to make sure those are in the right position, and move freely as well.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Verushka
Default Caliper Bracket Not All the Way Back

Hi,

Hey you user.... yeah once I put the caliper bolts on and tightened it it did not move. I'm confused because the bracket does not slide all the back after putting on the new pads. Where as if I take the front and rear pads off of the rotor and bolt the caliper bolts it does slide all the way back. Either way with the pads off or on once you tighten the caliper bolts it is tight and does not move. It's my understanding once you tighten the caliper bolts down how the brakes work is the piston moves when you press your brakes down it pushes the piston out. Although I'm still confused because if you look at the second picture I posted it doesn't seem like there is any room for the piston to push out. But I do know that when putting the caliper bracket back on you had to push the piston all the way down with your C clamp after you put the new pads on the rotor and then the caliper bracket would slide on. I used a 8" or 10" C clamp to push the piston back. There still was 1/8" of metal that I couldn't get to go back. I used an old brake pad almost got the C clamp stuck. I did post some pictures.

In putting the brakes back together for a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive after putting the new brake pads on Hawk Ferro Carbon I was able to tighten the two caliper bolts but it's not going all the way back. If you look on the picture there is about 1.25" of where the bracket is not all the way back. I completely took the pads off and then put the caliper bracket on with the two bolts and it did go all the way back. Both times whether the pads were on or off the caliper bolts did tighten all the way. Just wondering if this is normal?
I should have taken a picture before I dissassembled the old brake pads. But the caliper bolts once you tighten them it doesn't move. I did drive the truck the brakes are working good and stopping fine.

Attached Thumbnails Front brake caliper piston wont go back!-brakepadsnew1.jpg   Front brake caliper piston wont go back!-caliperbracket_notallthewayback2.jpg   Front brake caliper piston wont go back!-nopads_nocaliper3.jpg  

Last edited by Verushka; 09-28-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks right to me. The caliper won't be centered there.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Verushka
Default Caliper Bracket Not Sliding all the way back

Hi,

It looks right? It seems like it is not centered like its wrong?

V

Quick Reply: Front brake caliper piston wont go back!