2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck jerks into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM
KMerenda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck jerks into first gear

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
V8
5.2L
144K miles
Automatic Transmission

Lately, my truck has been jerking into first gear when starting from a stop or a slow coast. For example, I was completely stopped at a drive-through window, and then gently pressed down the accelerator to move forward, but the engine just revved. When I applied a bit more gas, it finally jerked into gear and began moving. When I say jerked, I mean a physical jerk you can feel every time. Sometimes, it can feel as if you were rear-ended.

It doesn't jerk into any other gears, or when slowing down into first. It seems the problem is getting more consistent. No lights are lit up on the dash, and I just had an oil change 2 weeks ago (which didn't appear to make any difference).

If you can't tell by now, I know very little about vehicle maintenance and repair, so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Need to check trans fluid level. With the engine fully warmed, trans in neutral (set the parking brake please) check fluid level. Sounds like it may be a bit low.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
tlebofsky
Default 96 Ram jerks when starting from stop

Has anyone found the answer to this. It isn't low fluid or dirty trans filter. Just wondering if it could be a shift solenoid and not a whole rebuild.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
tlebofsky

Has anybody have any answers to this problem. You can tell when people are stumped because nobody replies.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

No one has replied because OP posted nothing else and the thread was dead as indicated by the Sep 2011 date. Fluid is the most common cause. Could be gov solenoid or a host of other problems. Also we need the full info about your truck. Eng, miles etc.

EDIT: I'm no trans expert but maybe someone else will chime in.

Last edited by Ramzy; 01-31-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 jerk is strange, but if it jerks repeatedly in first, that usually means the forward clutch pack is damaged. mine acted like axle hop from the transmission, would shake violently then groan into first, but nothing else. My first gear clutch pack & first reverse band are toasted. 3 tranny shops verified this.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
tlebofsky
Default 96 Ram jerks from stop

I have a 96 Ram 1500 with 5.2. When you come to a traffic light and stop all seems well. When I push on the gas pedal it acts as if it is in neutral then suddenly it pops into gear and gives a jolt or jerk as if I performed a neutral drop or something. It shifts fine after that. I have changed my fluid and filter, adjusted the band, replaced my tps sensor, given tuneup and tried the Lucas trans stuff. there are no codes and the truck runs and drives fine other than that. It is worse if I have a load or am pulling a trailer. I was just wondering if it could be a solenoid and not the whole trans. Of course only an expert or someone who has gone through the same thing which I was hoping to catch from this forum.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

The only shift solenoid is for fourth gear. The rest is all hydraulically controlled. On your 96, governor pressure is controlled by a solenoid, but, if all the later shifts are fine, you are more than likely looking at a mechanical problem..... (failed/failing parts.) You could drop the pan again, and check the pressure sensor/solenoid.... but, if those aren't getting plugged up, you are probably looking at a rebuild soon.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
GiantsNiners99
Amateur

Check your rear diff. A lot of these trucks after 100k have rear end problems. It could be a bad bearing or as bad as blown gears.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
tlebofsky

Thanks for the responses. I believe it will need a rebuild as I have seen on the web that these transmissions are junk.

Quick Reply: Truck jerks into first gear